LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS M1530 having trouble with AoC

Guest Jeff

Hey!

So I was just wondering why my XPS M1530 is having problems running Age of Conan (extremely intensive game btw). It's really weird because my laptop can run the game on medium-high settings for like the first 30 minutes getting over 30 FPS and up to 60 sometimes, and then something happens where the game/my laptop freezes for about 10-15 seconds and when it resumes, the FPS has dropped to about 10-15. About 30 minutes later, it happens again and then my laptop just freezes. It's happened been happening quite a few times...

My laptop is about a month old, and for the first 3 weeks this problem never happened.

Anybody have any idea why in the world this might be happening? Here's my specs:

XPS M1530 with Vista 32-Bit

4GB 667MMHz Ram (32-bit only reads 3.5 GB unfortunately)

nVidia 256MB GeForce 8600M GT with Driver 177.xx Overclocking by 12% (from laptopvideo2go.com)

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz

The only thing that I think MIGHT be happening (I know very little about comp's, so I might be wrong) is the fact that I'm using a 177.xx driver. Maybe I should go down to a 175.xx driver and try overclocking on that?? If I go to a 175.xx, will I still be able to overclock it using the nVidia control panel??

Thanks

Sounds to me like thermal throttling. What temperature is your graphics card at?

I turned on the nVidia monitor and ran the game (it is the GPU Core temp that I'm monitoring, right?).

Well, just turned on and not doing anything, 60C. Character selection screen it went up to 68C. I monitored it while I was playing and I don't think it ever went over 79C, but it was around the 75-79C range most of the time.

Surprisingly enough, I've been on it monitoring it for the past hour and nothing has happened... that doesn't mean it's fixed though!

What do you think?

yea it sounds like a driver crash or something..

whats the temp of ur card? and what are ur oc settings?? mine are 580/1160/810

wouldnt go above that

So would you guys suggest trying out the 174.xx or 175.xx driver (I just realized that it does overclock with the nVidia System Tools), or should I just lower the overclocking settings??

Base: 475/702/950

OC: 554/816/1108

So would you guys suggest trying out the 174.xx or 175.xx driver (I just realized that it does overclock with the nVidia System Tools), or should I just lower the overclocking settings??

Base: 475/702/950

OC: 554/816/1108

id say lower the memory to 810...

everytime i would go above 810 i would get crashes...

and you can prob up the core to 580/1160

try those settings with the 177.66 forceware.. that way your the same settings as me since we have very similar systems... i run every game stable and very good performance with 177.66 and 580/1160/810

177.66 seems to be the fastest and coolest with the 8600M GT.

try it

Edited by coolcop06

Great, I've downloaded the 177.66 and put the OC settings to what you said. I read quite a bit into the 177.66 and people said that their comp's weren't underclocking, so hopefully it wont for me!

Thanks for your help!

Great, I've downloaded the 177.66 and put the OC settings to what you said. I read quite a bit into the 177.66 and people said that their comp's weren't underclocking, so hopefully it wont for me!

Thanks for your help!

not a problem :)

please let me know if this worked! im interested...

yea i think the memory cant handle above 810 for some games so that might be your problem... and the core can go to 590 but crashes in some games so thats why i told you 580/1160... its stable for me in every game.

and 177.66 is the BEST driver for me so far!

good luck!

/sigh...

So I downloaded the 177.66, and the graphics are just messed up in AoC (others were having trouble with it in the forums also). Weird stuff was happening, like mouths to the right of my character... was just odd...

So then I said screw it, went back to the old 175.80. After trying the 177.41, there's no way I could go back. The 175.80 was soo slow.

So I went back to the 177.41 and tried your idea. I actually went down to 560/800/1140 setting, and it ran great Friday and was happy with it!

I came back Sunday, played AoC and got on for about 5 minutes... 5 minutes into it, the driver crashed again and started underclocking down to 168/100/337.

Seriously, I don't know what to do now...

/sigh...

So I downloaded the 177.66, and the graphics are just messed up in AoC (others were having trouble with it in the forums also). Weird stuff was happening, like mouths to the right of my character... was just odd...

So then I said screw it, went back to the old 175.80. After trying the 177.41, there's no way I could go back. The 175.80 was soo slow.

So I went back to the 177.41 and tried your idea. I actually went down to 560/800/1140 setting, and it ran great Friday and was happy with it!

I came back Sunday, played AoC and got on for about 5 minutes... 5 minutes into it, the driver crashed again and started underclocking down to 168/100/337.

Seriously, I don't know what to do now...

huh... i dont either... i dont have any suggestions. seriously i would have thought it is a overclocking problem but doesnt sound like it now...

just curious... have you tried playing AoC on standard clocks (no overclocking)

Yea, I have. But there's such an extreme difference between using Shader 3 and Shader 2x (in the game)... Shader 3 makes the graphics look so much better.......

I'll try using 177.66 after trying Driver Sweeper (since I've DLed about 8-10 drivers since I've gotten this laptop). Know where the link is to it??

Thanks

Yea, I have. But there's such an extreme difference between using Shader 3 and Shader 2x (in the game)... Shader 3 makes the graphics look so much better.......

I'll try using 177.66 after trying Driver Sweeper (since I've DLed about 8-10 drivers since I've gotten this laptop). Know where the link is to it??

Thanks

lol that i dont have. like i said everyone recommends it but ive never used it... so dunno.

sorry