LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Powerstate and Clock 8600M GT

Guest vendetta

Guest Guido Bouman

Hi,

I have this laptop too, I think it's best to install a driver with the combined modded inf. Also you have to look at what driver you're downloading, because the best performance drivers (175.60, 177,66 and some others) don't support powermizer. The 177.41 driver I have works great and also supports powermizer. That's on vista, it is. I also ran on XP and that was working fine too, although I didn't really test downgrading there. So there shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure you download the modded inf that was delivered with the download, then everything should just work fine. No adjustments needed.

for msn:

guidobouman [at] hotmail [dot] com

normal e-mails:

info [at] guidobouman [dot] com

Guest vendetta

I updated to 177.41 by uninstalling the old driver and then using the new one from laptopvideo2go including the modded inf it came with. So far I can't change clockrates with rivatuner or energyschemes. Except smartdimmer I can't influence the GPU.

Investigating a bit further I found that it seems to be a common problem for newer Forceware/Gefroce releases beeing junable to utilize PM.

Guest vendetta

I further investigated the matter. The powermizer setting isn't set by the driver anymore. Instead it is set inside the registry for AC and DC power. This way my gpu changes clocks when i use different power supplies. Either its on performance 3D (highest) with DC or low power 3D (middle) on AC clock rates. It doesn't react to the power schemes at all anymore independend of settings there.

The nVidia service is activated and running.

Guest vendetta

Changing some values inside my registry enabled PM. My GPU sets itself to low power 3D now in every powerscheme if its not needed. Starting a game or something similar forces it to 3D performance.

I couldn't manage to put it to low power 2D until now.