LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600gt overclock problem

nokor

hello, i'm having some trouble when overclocking my 8600 with the 171.66 drivers. I actually reached a stable overclock, but when i restart my notebook (without it being plugged into the mains) and then plug it in again, the Rivatuner will not allow me to reset the overclock, and the only way for it to allow this, is reinstalling the drivers. My thought is that when i unplug the notebook from the mains the clocks on my vga collapse automatically to lower readings, i think that this is what produces some kind of conflict with the Rivatuner utility.

Any solutions out there? my note is an xps 1530 equipped with a 8600gt

Thanks =)

When ever you unplug your laptop from the mains, you will never be able to overclock.

With laptop on, unplugging the mains adapter will stop the overclock.

Restarting in battery mode will also not allow you to overclock.

- I have the same system as you, and i have never had to install the display driver again to allow me to overclock.

Plug it into the mains. Restart if you want. Then rivatuner should do what ever you ask.

If you are using XP then load Rivatuner, click 'custimize' then 'reload display driver'

If you are using Vista, then uninstall Rivatuner, then install it again. Thats all i can think of.

But i am pretty sure this issue is only because you are trying to overclock using battery mode. And simply... you can't!

Edited by wook

You can't overclock on power saving mode, or anytime you're using battery?

Edited by Andrew55

i have my notebook plugged to the mains while overclocking. when i plug the notebook off, the clocks lower, (it makes sense, since i save some battery in that way) but my issue is that when i re-plug the notebook into the mains after reboot, Rivatuner won't let me modify the values for the clocks.

download GPU-z (google)

When you plug it back into mains, check what it says your clock is set to. It should go back to what you selected before you unpluged it. If it does not... then i have no idea why that would be.

Try another driver. 177.66 is the best for games and our system. Or 174.74

Hopefullly this will solve the issue, as i have never had this problem, and have never used that particular driver. (171.66)

EDIT: ** also make sure that you have sleected RivaTuner to run when windows starts (under 'settings' "run at startup") plus make sure its registry not startup folder option.

Edited by wook

You can't overclock on power saving mode, or anytime you're using battery?

Nope you can not.

I guess you could modify powermizer change settings to not underclock at all. Im not sure if that would actually stop when the battery mode kicks in though.

Probably, thanks for the info!

now im with 177.66, when i unplug the laptop the clocks go down , then i plugin and the clocks go to default, and if i reboot pluged in windows starts with oc

now im with 177.66, when i unplug the laptop the clocks go down , then i plugin and the clocks go to default, and if i reboot pluged in windows starts with oc

ok so it kinda solved it? thats pretty much what happens to everyone unless you change some settings in the *.inf file

Well, it should be as that is a completely normal feature.

What do you mean, you no longer get the downclocking on battery mode, or that you are able to overclock on battery with the new drivers.