LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS 1530 GPU generates too much heat!

gmmm

Hello everyone, I bought a XPS 1530 in January 08 and I'm concerned about the heat it generates. By using GPUZ, it shows that when idle, my GPU is around 70C! I think it is way too hot and when playing some games after a while, the logs states that my gpu's peak temp is at 102C, so I also get some performance issues.

Furthermore, I don't know why but after playing UT3 for 10mins, my laptop automatically shuts off, I'm not sure if its a overheating problem because I can boot up right away, no error messages.

Furthermore, after starting up some other game, while still monitoring temps, I can see the temperature going up to 125C then my laptop would shut down automatically too.

I just updated my BIOS to A09 but nothing changed, and I do not overclock my card

Should I ask for a repair or exchange? Also, is GPUZ supposed to show the fan speed too? Mine is not showing

Thank you very much

XPS 1530

C2D T7500 2.2GHz

3GB RAM

Geforce 8600M GT DDR3

250GB

Edited by gmmm

That is way too hot. You probably should try to get it changed, because it appears to be one of the infamous defective 8600m GTs.

Guest mushikago

Whoa, definitely way way way too hot, the same card for me maxes out at 90C, and even then I'll be worried sick already that my laptop could catch fire :)

Should definitely get it checked/replaced by Dell, IMHO :)

well... the XPS M1530's have been plagued with heat issues... so join the club :) hahahaha

but yes that is WAYY TO HOT.

my gpu overclocked (but with replaced thermal paste) peaks around 93-94c...

idle it varies... mid 50c to mid 60c...

so id defiantly call in for a replacement right away...

Well I just called Dell support and they told me they can't replace my card because it's not broken yet. I already told him about the abnormally high temperatures and he still tells me he can't do anything because there's no reason to validate a repair, except if my card failed already.

The stranger thing is that he told me there isn't anything in their database that say the Geforce 8600M GT had a problem, he didn't even know about the fact that most of the nVidia chips out there are defective.

The ironic thing is that he suggested I do what I can do burn out my card, so that I can justify a replacement then!

This is unbelievable....

This does not sound right.

Did you call the XPS tech support line? They actually seemed to know what they are talking about as opposed to the normal dell support. (sorry if this offends anyone)

I had similar issue, although my temp only got to 93 Oc then shut down. Dell sent a techie over to my house, and replaced my motherboard within 3 days.

Yes, I called the XPS line, but I think it's the Canadian one, I live in Canada. Wook, can you tell me what you said to the support guy?

Thx

i said that everytime i try and play a game the system restarts after 20-30mins. That i have had a look at the temp. when this happens and its @ 93 Oc. It used to stay around mid 80's. I said that would they just be replacing the heatsink and the paste as i assume it hasnt got good contract any more.

they said they will replace the motherboard and the heatsink/ fan.

That was it. end of conversation.

Man, that was simple, well i hope I get a different guy the next time I call, maybe one in a good mood :)

Well, the XPS warrantee states it will fix whatever the customer wants.. and a restarting laptop certainly warrants it.

• 3 weeks later...

Phone back and tell them that it is burning you because of the heat. I have heard of them giving new laptops out even out of warranty if you complain about the heat to your body.

^Possible case of bad luck striking twice. May have to ring them again.