LaptopVideo2Go Forums

driver help PLZ

booker t

I have a Acer Aspire 5920g with vista 64 bit and a 8600m gs and im confused. The nvidia site doesnt have my card drivers and refers me to the acer site and i cant find the good ones on the acer site. :)

i want to know will the drivers on this site work with my laptop, because i heard only drivers from the manufacturers site will work with laptop gpu's? also how can i save my current driver so i can restore to it later? :) thanks

go into system properties\ hardware\ device manager\ and look at your display adapter, then check what driver version it is.

eg. 6.14.11.7474 (take note of your driver)

This means im running XP 32 bit, and the driver is 174.74.

I suggest 174.74 http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showforum=89

or 177.79 (but i find it's a little staggered during games) @ http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/2-frequently-asked-questions4

download the driver and the 'modified inf' file. extract the driver, then copy and paste the inf file to that same folder. say yes to the overwrite promp.

Then run setup.exe

done!

But i heard that only manufacturers drivers (acer's) will work with laptops? :) is that true? is there any way to save your current driver to recover it later?

also which driver lets you see your clock speeds and lets you overclock?

btw my driver version is 7.15.11.56.72 is that a good one?

Edited by booker t

7.151 means you are running vista-64 bit, and 156.72 is the driver. You dont need to save your current driver, you can download it from your latop site if you wish.. or 'roll back' to that driver if you are unhappy with the next one you choose.

But believe me when i say... you wont wont to... the newest version out is 177.83... and thats quite a change from your current driver.

click on that link i gave you in the previous post, and follow those instructions. you will have a driver installed that will give you significant improvement in stability and gaming performance.