LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Shift to XP

Wiam

How do I shift to XP?

I have SATA hard disks and XP can't be installed on SATA.

What do I do?

You have three options. The first is to use the F6 disk method. If your system has a Floppy Drive (including USB models), or if you are willing to purchase one, you can download the drivers for your SATA controller from the hardware manufacturer's website and put them on this floppy disk. Then, when asked during Windows XP setup, press the F6 key to load the driver. The second option is to slipstream the SATA AHCI drivers onto an installation disk by using nLite. There are plenty of great howtos on this topic on the Internet, so a Google search should be quite fruitful. The third (and worst) option is not really a solution, it is a workaround. This involves changing the storage controller mode in the BIOS from AHCI to ATA. This will result in a small performance loss, but will allow you to install XP without extra drivers.

U could also check the bios to see if it allows you to run your HDD in IDE Mode

volkov959: That's 'exactly' what Michael Marley just said. Perhaps you didn't understand his statement the first time you read it. He merely said ATA 'mode' [which is correct], and not IDE which is not a mode, but a physical harddrive connection variant, and therefore NOT a choice in BIOS.