LaptopVideo2Go Forums

dead m5550 Nvidia GeForce Go 7600

r0tor

My GPU burned up last week. I've spent all weekend researching and looking all over the world for something I can use to make my computer work again... I don't do much gaiming on it anymore (thats what my new PS3 is for) so my main concern is just having a useable computer again!

- Replacement Go 7600 ... can't find

- Nvidia 8600m GS ... reported to work but can't find one anywhere except an ebay store that seems unresponsive to e-mails

- ATi x1800 ... found a few for sale but I can't see my computer being able to take anymore heat

- Nvidia Go 6600 ? ... found that, not sure if it would work, would be a downgrade

Anyone know where I can get a Go 7600 or 8600m GS????

A side note:

You laptop has MXM? Just wondering if you have/ can confirm that your laptop does not have a GPU chip built in to the motherboard.

Please don?t be offended, but others have posted similar questions, and have not had MXM or similar gfx cards in their laptops. Meaning that they had wasted their money by purchasing a card.

m5550-r3i?

im on that model too (if it's yours)

i've got 7600go mxm module and x1900 from mxm-upgrade.com both working nice (as im on the x1900)

do you wan't to upgrade? or only replace? as i could sell my 7600go from AW to you (Uniwill Bios)

Meins321

m5550-r3i?

i've got 7600go mxm module and x1900 from mxm-upgrade.com both working nice (as im on the x1900)

do you wan't to upgrade? or only replace? as i could sell my 7600go from AW to you (Uniwill Bios)

Meins321

thanks, but i bought a 8600M GS chip from ebay in a panic last night (need my laptop back for an on-line college course)... i will be sure to take you up on the offer if it doesn't work out!

anyone know what driver I should be using for the 8600M GS?

try the latest one... 177.92 best FPS out of any driver so far. (well for my card.)

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS card in my m5550 and its working! Just swapped cards and installed the latest nvidia drivers and it was that easy.

I noticed it might be a tad warmer then the GO 7600 card. I did install a new thermal pad for the heat sink so I'm not sure if the thermal pad is not up to snuff, isn't contacting the chip correctly, needs some time to break in, or the card just generates too much heat. Its idleing around the 80 deg C mark and reached 100 deg C after running video for a good hour... which is hot IMO but not at the alarming point just yet.

I aslo noticed when installing it that the processor had what seemed like a sheet of plastic or tape on it and the seller seemed to think it belonged there... is that normal for these chips?

update... took computer back apart, removed plastic, went back to the original heat pad, put AS betwen the GPU and thermal pad and on each ram chip and temps have dropped 10-20 deg C

bought a new v. card from mxm and replace my busted card from alienware m5500. the problem im having is that after i install all the new drivers and modd inf is theres a conflict, it was saying "not enough resources" and something else.

please help me out ; ;

Hi a user here write with bios 1.07 is this card no working then you must downgrade your motherboard bios to 1.06 then this card works fine.This is the problem with conflict at windows.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest m5550 w/ an 8600m gs 512
bought a new v. card from mxm and replace my busted card from alienware m5500. the problem im having is that after i install all the new drivers and modd inf is theres a conflict, it was saying "not enough resources" and something else.

please help me out ; ;

the not enough resources is due the mb bios. You have 2.07 on there don't you? You'll need to downgrade to the 2.06 bios to clear the fault and get it running right.

• 3 months later...
m5550-r3i?

Meins321

Do you still have this video card for sale? I'm having CPU utilization issues running Linux with my current ATI card. How much do you want for your 7600? If you've already sold it would you have a good URL where I can purchase one?

TIA.

You can reach me at wilson dot peralta at gmail dot com

Wilson

the not enough resources is due the mb bios. You have 2.07 on there don't you? You'll need to downgrade to the 2.06 bios to clear the fault and get it running right.

I just bought an 8600gt (512mb) to replace my dead 7600go for my 5550m. However, when I put it and turning it on, it makes a 2-3 seconds beep and does nothing. Can you guys help me out. Thank you.