LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Would really appreciate some help!

hypochondriac

Hi there everyone. I am new and a total noob so be nice! I have installed the mobileforce driver to my alienware laptop and am using the included NVIDIA control panel. I have connected my laptop to my HDTV via an HDI to HDMI cable. It all works fine except if if I want to run the TV and laptop in dualview. The laptop will then display the normal screen but the TV will just display the wallpaper from my laptop and nothing else. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sounds like youve extended your desktop onto the 2nd screen rather than cloning the screen (which is i guess what you're after). Ive not tried it myself for a while but there used to be options to select what type of output you wanted (extend desktop/clone etc).

Pretty sure I'm not. There's only two options, clone or dualview. I would much prefer to have dualview so I can have individual resolutions on each screen.

thats what you've got if you've only got your desktop on the other screen. It's totally separate so you can have different things on each screen. Move your mouse cursor off either the left or right side of your normal screen and it will appear on the tv. You can drag applications or almost anything to the secondary screen.

Oblox and Phnx are correct.

What you have set your display to show, is an additional "exteneded" desktop. If you want the external display to show the exact same as the laptop display, then you need to select 'clone'.

Then... under nvidia control panel "set up multipule displays" look at option 2 (select the display you would like to use)

You can then select the external display first, and change the resolution of that device (HD-TV)

You can also use the nview desktop manager to setup a separate wallpaper per screen. It also has a lot of nice functionality for moving windows between monitors, hot keys, ect.

Also you can combine 2 desktops in an image editor and tile them so it shows a separate wallpaper per screen. (without the desktop manager)

OK thanks for making things clearer. The main problem I have is that the two resolutions should be different for my TV and laptop. I can't access things like the start menu from the TV which is the main problem. Any ideas?

do you mean that the start menu is not displayed.. like the sides of the display are cut off when viewing on tv?

I have that if i don't set the resolution to either of the HD **** x 720 or **** x 1080 settings... anything in between just cuts off the sides and bottom.

In dual view the start menu should only be displayed on one monitor. You can switch that to the TV if you want. (make it the primary)

If you are using drivers with span mode support in XP it can show the taskbar on both monitors, although the start button will only be on one of them. (with linux you could have it on both, maybe in windows with a theme hack)

Because of vista's DRM and incompatibility crap span modes will never be supported on it.