LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Please help me before I go bald from ripping my hair out!

Nursegreg

Ok so this past Feb I bought an Acer Aspire 7520 AMD turion 64x2 up to 1024mb NVIDIA Geforce 8400M G Turbocache. It came with Vista I've decided that I hated it so I downgraded to XP. All the drivers for this are available on the Acer website. The problem is the VGA card file is corrupted, and Acer (the wonderful people that they are) basically told me to screw off and they wouldn't be able to assist me with getting an uncorrupted file. Searching the Internet I keep seeing to DL the v163.15 but when I do that it says it's not the right driver. Please help me getting the video driver is the only thing that's keeping me from having XP run perfectly! (as far as anything microsoft can work perfectly)

All you have to do is download any driver from this website and download its modded INF. Place the modded INF in the extracted driver folder and overwrite the existing one. This will allow you to install the driver on your computer (actually any computer and any graphics card). This should fix your graphics driver issue.

Hope this helps!

Also, you should probably download the latest driver. 163.xx is as old as dirt, and newer versions will bring performance improvements and bugfixes.

uhh modded inf? I'll be honest here, I probably should have taken the laptop in to have the OS changed by a professional but I was trying to save $150 I figured it would be easy enough with the drivers offered by Acer. Any detailed instructions/help you could give me in selecting the driver figuring out what a modded INF is would be greatly appreciated

ok so I get the basic idea of the modded INF and now what you guys do here. It's awesome, much appreciated for all the time everyone puts in, in trying to make it a better computing world for us all. I'm still trying to upgrade my driver better, used that driver agent program and it's service and was able to use it to upgrade my video driver. Only problem is I think it installed a much older version of a driver. When I try to download another one from this site, and open the application it tells me that the file cannot be opened as an archive. Am I doing something wrong? Am I still not getting the picture here? (which is very possible)

ok so I get the basic idea of the modded INF and now what you guys do here. It's awesome, much appreciated for all the time everyone puts in, in trying to make it a better computing world for us all. I'm still trying to upgrade my driver better, used that driver agent program and it's service and was able to use it to upgrade my video driver. Only problem is I think it installed a much older version of a driver. When I try to download another one from this site, and open the application it tells me that the file cannot be opened as an archive. Am I doing something wrong? Am I still not getting the picture here? (which is very possible)

ok so I was able to download driver 177.98 downloaded the modded inf to it's correct place and started the install. Then I get a message saying that "

the driver for device GeForce 8400M G has not passed Windows Logo testing for compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing with installation may impair or destabilize the operation of my system now or in the future."

of course that gave me some pause and scared me a bit so I stopped the install. Maybe I was reading the info wrong, but isn't this driver supposed to work with XP?

No that message is completely normal. Continue with the install as normal. This happens because of the modded inf.