LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX770M drivers?

Guest RAM

Hi,

I'm just wondering what kind of drivers are available for this card. It's the DD3 512MB dedicated NVIDIA Quadro FX770M GPU found in the Dell M4400.

I don't know much about graphics cards but recently learned you can switch drivers for different uses?

Like there is a regular driver (dell.com). Is there a better driver for this besides the stock one (in terms of professional use)? Is there a driver specifically for each CAD or 3D program I use? Is there a driver that converts it to gaming GeForce mode?

I'd appreciate some good responses, thank you.

Those are good questions. First lets talk a little about what a driver is and what it can do for your graphics card (or any graphics card).

Drivers are instructions for the hardware (in this case your graphics card) to run on your computer. Updated or different versions of drivers do instruct your hardware differently, but this difference can be very minor. Usually the drivers are updated and changed to help with performance, compatibility, or functionality of your graphics card. There really is not specific drivers for specific uses. Such as, there is no one or tow drivers for gaming, or professional use. All drivers provide these uses and functions, the only thing that changes form driver to driver is how well these gaming or professional functions actually function. such as the driver 169.44 was a great driver that increased performance in game play especially in the game Crysis. While the 177.92 driver has a great deal of improvements for compatibility and performance in all games and programs. There is not just one driver for one specific function, they all do the same function, some just better than others.

There may be a drivers out there that are specially good bringing out the full potential in your specific card or series of cards. If you look through the forms you might find that there are drivers that work better for quadro cards than geforce cards. It just takes some searching.

I recommend for anyone who wants a better graphics driver to try the 177.92 drivers. They have a great deal of improvements and work great for any card out there (as long as you use the modded inf)

Hope this helps!

Those are good questions. First lets talk a little about what a driver is and what it can do for your graphics card (or any graphics card).

Drivers are instructions for the hardware (in this case your graphics card) to run on your computer. Updated or different versions of drivers do instruct your hardware differently, but this difference can be very minor. Usually the drivers are updated and changed to help with performance, compatibility, or functionality of your graphics card. There really is not specific drivers for specific uses. Such as, there is no one or tow drivers for gaming, or professional use. All drivers provide these uses and functions, the only thing that changes form driver to driver is how well these gaming or professional functions actually function. such as the driver 169.44 was a great driver that increased performance in game play especially in the game Crysis. While the 177.92 driver has a great deal of improvements for compatibility and performance in all games and programs. There is not just one driver for one specific function, they all do the same function, some just better than others.

There may be a drivers out there that are specially good bringing out the full potential in your specific card or series of cards. If you look through the forms you might find that there are drivers that work better for quadro cards than geforce cards. It just takes some searching.

I recommend for anyone who wants a better graphics driver to try the 177.92 drivers. They have a great deal of improvements and work great for any card out there (as long as you use the modded inf)

Hope this helps!

Well I can't do searching much since the FX770M is new and it's very hard to find reviews, benchmarks, or other people who have the card. There's one or two things here and there but nothing useful. The support isnt like the 8800 or the 8600 cards.

Thank you for the definition of drivers, makes sense now. However, at NVIDIAs website, there is a driver for the FX770M called MAXTreme made just for 3D Studio Max and another driver for AutoCad 2009.

I don't know what INF files are and what modding them does. I also have no clue what all those numbers are. I know they are different versions of drivers but how do I tell the difference between 177.92 and 1xx.xx and what cards these drivers work on? Like I said, it's hard to find support for the FX770.

I pretty much have all the professional drivers from Dell.com's website and NVIDIAs driver's page (however, there's NO WHERE in the drivers page where you can choose the Quadro FX770M in the dropdown lists!).

Just looking for what drivers would be recommend to boost gaming.

I see what you are talking about now that you pointed out the Nvidia's page has performance enhanced drivers for certain programs. These drivers are indeed better suited for these applications, and those drivers should be used (installed) when working with those programs (they allow quadro card to operate in those types on environments better, where GeForce cards cannot). To tell you the truth, quadro cards are actually identical to their desktop counter parts in terms of hardware, the reason they are priced so much higher is because of their ability to work with the professional programs so much better (but only due the those special drivers found on the website, otherwise they are just geforce cards).

So in short any geforce driver, such as the wonderful 177.92 driver version will work great with your card, and should yield a very high game performance (since most quadro drivers are based on the 169 series still)

Here is the listing to these drivers which I recommend http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=20268

and please read this tutorial on how to use the modded inf (very easy to do) http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=9243

Especially pay attention the the installing drivers part of the guide.

Hope this helps!

I see what you are talking about now that you pointed out the Nvidia's page has performance enhanced drivers for certain programs. These drivers are indeed better suited for these applications, and those drivers should be used (installed) when working with those programs (they allow quadro card to operate in those types on environments better, where GeForce cards cannot). To tell you the truth, quadro cards are actually identical to their desktop counter parts in terms of hardware, the reason they are priced so much higher is because of their ability to work with the professional programs so much better (but only due the those special drivers found on the website, otherwise they are just geforce cards).

So in short any geforce driver, such as the wonderful 177.92 driver version will work great with your card, and should yield a very high game performance (since most quadro drivers are based on the 169 series still)

Here is the listing to these drivers which I recommend http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=20268

and please read this tutorial on how to use the modded inf (very easy to do) http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=9243

Especially pay attention the the installing drivers part of the guide.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that is the kind of reassurance I was looking for.

I can treat my card as a 9600 when looking for GeForce drivers, correct?

And I will pay special attention when messing with those INFs, thanks so much

Also, at nvidia.com, what do I do to find 770M drivers?

If your card is a mobile quadro you will not find them on Nvidia.com. OEMs (like IBM) have to release there own drivers for their mobile cards. Thats why this sites exists, to find and use newer drivers that the OEMs do not supply us with.

If you really want to try to find some on Nvidia's website try the "Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products." and if they do exists then they will bring them up for you, but most likely they will tell you to go to IBM to get them.

Hope this helps!

From here you can see what to probably expect from a driver behaving with a Quadro card - overclocking and mostly if the Nvidia control panel works:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=16561

770M support exists in the latest modified Infs, at least 177.89, 177.92 and so on - didn't check others. Also 177.85 original inf

supports 770M - I'm using it just now with 1600M.

I just realized that 770M is listed in the INF list for 176.37 (http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=20332)! How come it's not listed anywhere else? Should I get this driver or would the newest 177.98 be better for gaming?

From here you can see what to probably expect from a driver behaving with a Quadro card - overclocking and mostly if the Nvidia control panel works:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=16561

770M support exists in the latest modified Infs, at least 177.89, 177.92 and so on - didn't check others. Also 177.85 original inf

supports 770M - I'm using it just now with 1600M.

What's that thread about? Sorry I have no clue about this GPU business and not sure what all that means. Is that just saying that if I put a certain INF on my card I might have the ability to OC it (depending on which one it is, according to your table)?

Your 770M is about like my 1600M, a newer die, same 128bit memory interface, 32 "CUDA Parallel Computing Processor cores", so you can get about the same or a little better results.

177.98 with the modified inf works well for me so it's worth trying.

Download this and unpack onto your desktop:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/175se...17798_vista.exe

Then download this and copy into the 177.98.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/infs/175seri...sta/nv_disp.inf

Run setup and you should get a driver with working control panel and possibility to overclock.

Wow I'm so glad theres actually help on this now. Doing a search on this forum for "770m" yields lots of driver results, not sure what they do they.

Thank you zipper, I will try all that this week asap when i get my M4400 out of its box lol. And by overclock, care to elaborate? Is it recommended with this card? How much better performance could I possibly get if I OC the card?

I'm all for it though!

My 1600M max overclock increase is about 25% but between 10-20% seems to be pretty safe; with about 20% overclock the GPU core temp rose from 79 to 85 C. My laptop seems to be pretty sturdy and the quadro cards are aimed to "professional" use so they should tolerate some handling.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mr.Forward
My 1600M max overclock increase is about 25% but between 10-20% seems to be pretty safe; with about 20% overclock the GPU core temp rose from 79 to 85 C. My laptop seems to be pretty sturdy and the quadro cards are aimed to "professional" use so they should tolerate some handling.

hi,

i´m trying to figure out what is the best driver for my new dell precision m4400.

so of course i found several tip and drivers here, BUT i don´t know how to get the best out of them.

you are writing somthing

i use my laptop for professional renderings AND i am playing Hdro sometimes.

so i am sure that i have to overclock the card a little bit. would you be so nice and push me in the right direction?

thx

MF

zipper,

thank you very much for pointing to this driver.

unfortunatley i´m not able to install this driver inclusive the nvidia control-panel.

i´ve read somewhere here in the forum, that this could happen, but there isn´t a proper solution yet.

or did i miss something?

i compared the futuremark06-results from notebookcheck and mine, and there is a difference from about -400points (my computer).

so far i know they didn´t touch the system there to get better results.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Dell-Pre...ok.11954.0.html (german link)

when i run the benchmark without touching the system i´ve got about 3.500 points (3dmark 06)...which is definitley to less for that nb.

after installing the linked driver above i could achieve 5.100points.

thx,

mfg

MF

Edited by Mr. Forward

So you are missing the Control Panel? It may depend on that something is left over from the old drivers - especially the original/default drivers. I had problems with driver updates until I did it "the right way" meaning uninstalling the old (HP default) driver, cleaning the driver remnants with driver cleaner / driver sweeper in safe mode and then installing the new driver. Most recent drivers had working CP for me; 177.89 and 177.92 did not give CP.