LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is my GPU temperature too high ?

garizlook

I just installed a 8600M GT in my FSC M3438G and it is runnig fine, but i have 77°C in idle mode.

I first installed 175.80 driver for my XP, and would like to know if this is normal.

My CPU temperature is around 50° C in idle mode.

My GPU temperature increases when playing till over 100° !

Did i make an incorrect installation ?

Can someone help ?

Thanx !

i dunno im not that good so i cant tell you if you made a problem installing...

but it most likely is that you have one of the faulty G84M/G86M GPU's... where did you get this GPU from?? i would try to get a return...

also, did you put the proper amount of thermal paste on your GPU/heatsink? this could also be a problem, although id stick with the idea that most likely its one of the faulty G84M's...

im idling at 57-67c (average 63c)

and gaming around 83-89c (average 87-88c), with peaks up to 93c...

but i think i also have a faulty card, as ive heard the good ones idle in the low 50c's, and game under 80c overclocked...

so yes, 100c is WAY to hot, and idling at 77c is not good either.

Edited by coolcop06

In fact, i first put Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU, and it was 75° idle.

I tried to put the old thermal pad that was on my old 6800 (it was ok), and i reached 80°...

I changed the driver (installed 177.92).

Should i put AS5 instead of thermal pad ?

Should i overclock it in order to get it cooler ?

I had to use my dremel on the heatsink (in order to let a component enough space), but i think i didnt take enough aluminium from the heatsink...

I must agree that the card is faulty. If it was not faulty, the AS5 would have brought your temperatures down quite a bit.

I put AS5 back, and its 76° C idling mode...

Should i overclock it ?

Overclocking is not something you want to do. What, you can do, however, is ring your manufacturer and and let them take care of the situation.

My 4438 with go6800 was floating round 57 -59 C (GPU) in desktop use so your card is way too hot.

i got a 8400m gt that was around 85-95ºC gamming mostly 90-95 then motherboard went to the hell n warranty put me back new motherboard and a BIOS UPDATE n now laptop is super cool. now around 65ºC gamming =D

okay so we removed thermal paste as a problem, so 99.9% sure you have a faulty card on your system... i also have AS5 on my GPU/CPU and like I said i think i have a faulty card too and im idling at 63c... so i would call for a replacement whenever you get the chance...

and no overclocking will NOT help, it will only make it worse... the point of overclocking is increasing the clock speeds on your gpu, which will give it better performance, but only make it hotter due to it working harder, so that will only make the problem twice as bad...

Hi again, i opened my laptop, cleaned every part of my rad put some more AS5 on the die (i think there wasnt enough on it) and i gained some degrees..

Running 73 idle, 97 when gaming.... System stays stable, game works fine too.

I just saw by the version that it was one of the default cards (A2 type)...

How could i gain some degrees again ?

new rad ?

cooling systems ?

Hi coolcop06, i'm using a Dell XPS M1530 too. :)

My idling temps seem to be averaging around 58c (56-67c)

During gaming, temps may go up to 76c at factory settings and up to 82c when overclocked 650/1300/875

Considering that we're using a 7200rpm HD, the extra heat may be generated from there

Besides, i've seen many M1530 lappies with idling temps around 60 even when using the 5400rpm HD

Could it be that you overclocked your GPU hard?

May i know what drivers are you using and your clocks?

Pardon me for my poor english :)

really!? are using the same notebook too? what driver?