LaptopVideo2Go Forums

need help Counter Strike wont work

bilalrashid

Hello all,

i recently started getting this problem ... on 2 different laptops .. whenever i run Counter Strike 1.6 it loads up fine to the point where i create the server as soon as the game starts and i see the map description screen with the Ok button on it .. the game hangs .. i cant do anything else but kill the Hl process and curse out loud ... this is happening on 2 different laptops .. a DELL XPS 1530 and a Gateway p 6860 Fx ... we have tried multiple builds of CS ( steam and non steam with different patches ). and different drivers all the way from 169.04 to 177.?? and the native laptop drivers too ...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. the 1530 has a 8600 GT and the 6860 has a 8800 GTS

-Bilal

Which OS are you running on these laptops? If you are running Vista, you might want to try running the game in XP compatibility mode.

Which OS are you running on these laptops? If you are running Vista, you might want to try running the game in XP compatibility mode.

vista 64 bit on 6860 and 32 bit on 1530 both ultimates and both running in compatibility mode

First of all turn off Compatibility, Steam is uber compatible with Vista 32/64.

If you have any third-party mods for CS you need to remove them at once. If you don't then try this.

Try doing a file check in Steam. This happened to me once before, a dll got corrupted after I did some agressive disk defragmenting.

To do a Steam File Check or Internal Steam Defragment:

1.) Right click the game in question.

2.) Go to properties.

3.) Go to the "Local Files" tab.

4.) Here you have the option to: Verify Integrity of Game Cache...

THS IS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE: ITS GOING TO COMPARE YOUR FILES TO THE SERVER MASTER LIST AND IT WILL REPLACE ANY INVALID CHKSUMS AUTOMATICALLY.

5.) Secondly every once in a while you should run this too: Defragment Cache Files which is in the same window.

IF That does not work, you need to UNINSTALL all gfx drivers, then do a reboot. Install your OEM graphics card drivers. Then reboot, go into the Device Manager and verify Vista did not install the drivers you were just using (just in case.) If you are not sure how to compare the Nvidia versions go to the desktop and click Nvidia Control Panel then click the lower left hand corner of the window called "System Information" and it will tell you the common ForceWare version currently running on your card.

With the OEM Drivers installed, run CS:S and it should be error free if that is all done.

I have another option for you if it is still coming up with an error on both systems still.

Edited by Cain

i have the non steam version of CS since we play on LAN only ... should i try getting the steam version ?? .. i dont mind paying for it if it works proper ... i have done the OEM graphics card drivers and it still did not work ...

what is the 3rd option ?

i have the non steam version of CS since we play on LAN only ... should i try getting the steam version ?? .. i dont mind paying for it if it works proper ... i have done the OEM graphics card drivers and it still did not work ...

what is the 3rd option ?

3rd Option is that you delete every single .cfg file for Counter-Strike on your user. Settings.cfg etc. Normally the settings don't cause problems but if something changed and it permanently changed like Resolution Setting and new drivers just so happen to NOT support that resolution it was set to, it could cause it to crash.

4th option is to make sure you have the latest DirectX distribution from www.microsoft.com/directx.

Edited by Cain

4th option is to make sure you have the latest DirectX distribution from www.microsoft.com/directx.

A better idea might be to not use DirectX in CS at all, and instead use OpenGL. The DX renderer in CS is somewhat buggy.

trying both .. d3d and openGL even software mode without any luck lol

trying both .. d3d and openGL even software mode without any luck lol

If nothing I tried works then here is what maybe the culprit.

If you use an aimbot/hacks with CS you may have a virus.

If you have custom skins or even maps, you may be loading one that is corrupt.

If you have custom skins or even maps, you may have a virus.

Yes there are virus and worms that affect only Counter-Strike.

Does the game work after a fresh install with all previous files deleted?