LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 5520-5716 (from 8400M G to 8600M GT)

Mack1982

Hi,

I like so many others, I also tried to upgrade from my 8400M G to 8600M GT 512. However, after installation I can't seem to flash the BIOS. When I start the notebook, it asks me to reflash the MXM and then when windows starts, the resolution is at its mininum. If Vista autmatically installs the driver, i get the BSOD.

I followed the following steps:

i have not tried it but i think he did it this way

1. download hp boot key and create a bootable usb

2. download nvflash

3. download 8600M GT bios

4. extract nvflash to root drive of flash drive, copy also the bios in the root drive

5. restart pc and in bios set flash drive as boot drive (F12 key usually)

6. on command prompt type "nvflash -b backup.rom', now you have a backup bios file named backup.rom

7. on command prompt type "nvflash Acer.8600MGT.512.070423.bin -4 -5 -6", wait for it dont touch nothin till it finishes up

good luck

However, I can't flash the .BIN file. NVflash says the file should be of type .ROM and some other.

Any Advice.

Hi,

I like so many others, I also tried to upgrade from my 8400M G to 8600M GT 512. However, after installation I can't seem to flash the BIOS. When I start the notebook, it asks me to reflash the MXM and then when windows starts, the resolution is at its mininum. If Vista autmatically installs the driver, i get the BSOD.

I followed the following steps:

However, I can't flash the .BIN file. NVflash says the file should be of type .ROM and some other.

Any Advice.

I renamed the file to ROM and flashed it. I am done. Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

In next time i need to update my 5520G to 8600M GT.... i have find one seller in ebay that sell one 8600M GT with Acer bios....in this mode haven't necessity to update? Is corect?

Hi,

In next time i need to update my 5520G to 8600M GT.... i have find one seller in ebay that sell one 8600M GT with Acer bios....in this mode haven't necessity to update? Is corect?

If the card already has the acer BIOS, there is no need to flash the BIOS again. Just install it. I also believe that you might not have to deal with the screw problem as well. However, the con is that its expensive. If i recall it correctly that seller was asking for $250.

Hi Mack,

The price isn't a problem, i live in Italy and i buy in Euro, now is favorable. I have find one card at 180$ (american dollars, 220$ Canadian).