LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Satellite X205 and Gaming

brandondesign

Hey everyone. I just had a quick question if someone doesn't mind answering. I was told when I originally bought this laptop that it was suppose to be one of the big competitors for playing games such as Crysis, Call of Duty 4, and now Warhammer: Online. Well, the laptop doesn't seem like it's capable of playing any of these. When I played Crysis, it was very choppy, even on the low settings. The game would process very slow, to the point where it was unplayable. Same thing with COD4, and now the new game that came out Warhammer.

I've tried downloading a driver off of the website, and it didn't seem to really improve much of anything. I called toshiba and they didn't seem to really want to help, they just told me NVIDIA hasn't released the driver that's capable of processing all of these games just yet, and to have a nice day.

Has anyone had experience with this, or can someone suggest me what I should do next? I feel like I have a $2,500 (with warranty) laptop sitting on my desk that's not meeting up to par. Also, if there's anything I can do about getting some sort of system log or such, let me know how and I'll post it up ASAP!

Thanks everyone and have a great day! :)

Do you mean you have tried one of Toshiba's drivers or one of ours? If you have not, I would try version 177.92.

Do you mean you have tried one of Toshiba's drivers or one of ours? If you have not, I would try version 177.92.

I've tried one of yours, but honestly I don't remember which one my friend told me to try. Is there a way to find out which one I currently have? Thanks! Also, I'm at work on this laptop right now, so if there's any information that would help you let me know! :)

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: I ran DxDiag and saved the information if it's any help! Thanks!

DxDiag.txt

Edited by brandondesign

It's funny that I started this thread today. Windows Vista just decided to update and one of the update items was for the graphics card. I let it run it's course, and now it seems to be even worse. My whole computer in general is running slower now. When I started the game, the resolution was all messed up and was even slower then before. Here's the update history from today:

nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT

Installation date: ‎9/‎20/‎2008 10:59 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

nVidia Display software update released in August, 2008

More information:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20195348

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

Driver Information:

Driver Provider: NVIDIA

Driver Date: 8/1/2008

Version: 7.15.11.7626

Besides that, I called Best Buy and they told me to bring it by. Do you think I should install that driver you gave me, or should I have them take a look at it? I'd just like to use this laptop to it's full capabilities. Thanks again everyone for helping!

Are there any tests I should run that you guys know of that could give you some more helpful information?

Edited by brandondesign

• 2 weeks later...

$2,500 (with warranty) laptop sitting

You spent 2500$ on a laptop with a 8700GT?

Dude, I spent nearly 1500$ last christmas for one with a 8600GT. And i have been very happy with it. Theres something definetly wrong with your laptop. You should have no trouble in COD4 what so ever and Crysis should run great on medium.

If the performance is that bad I dont think its the drivers, I had stock drivers the first time i played Crysis. And I played and finished the whole game of Bioshock with stock drivers, I just got the 178.13 modded drivers like a couple days ago which was a change from the stock which were like before 169.

Make sure ur plugged in and not running on battery.

Edited by MonkeyMhz