LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Vostro 1500/Inspiron 1520 Card Upgrade

Stereomaster11

I was wondering... is it possible to swap out the 8600m GT DDR2 for a DDR3 model? Or even better, an 8700m GT? They all seem to run on the same chip... Has anybody tried this yet and had success? :)

Sadly, this is not possible. The only two modules Dell makes/made for these systems are the 8400m GS and the 8600m GT. However, if you O/C your 8600, you can nearly reach the performance level of a 8700.

Sadly, this is not possible. The only two modules Dell makes/made for these systems are the 8400m GS and the 8600m GT. However, if you O/C your 8600, you can nearly reach the performance level of a 8700.

With what performance settings would you get 8700m GT performance with an 8600m GT of DDR2... The highest I ever got on 3DMark'06 was 4181... GPU Core at 600 Mhz and GPU Memory at 450 Mhz... done with the Nvidia overclocking utility (Ntune? or something like that?)... How high can you raise them and still be comfortable that you are not damaging anything?

Edited by Stereomaster11

• 1 month later...
With what performance settings would you get 8700m GT performance with an 8600m GT of DDR2... The highest I ever got on 3DMark'06 was 4181... GPU Core at 600 Mhz and GPU Memory at 450 Mhz... done with the Nvidia overclocking utility (Ntune? or something like that?)... How high can you raise them and still be comfortable that you are not damaging anything?

Just the simple fact that you are o/c - puts the computer at risk - but if you o/c just a few couple mhz its no big deal - but to be on the safe side, always have a cooling pad (if a laptop) at all times - that helps :)

• 10 months later...
Guest Elias Valaveris

Can I update the video card on my vostro 1500 for no cost? I need a smaller (more items displayed on screen) resolution to access certain items on my work homepage that are not visible with my current resolution options.