LaptopVideo2Go Forums

xi1546 ati hd 3650

Guest facey

Hapnin peeps I have managed to install a HD 3650 mxm card in my 1546. Its running can play films but i have not tested games etc...yet! Any questions gimme a shout I'm willing to try an answer them

Nice work!

Where did you buy your mobile 3650? Did it require any heatsink or other modifications? Did you take any photos when you swapped graphics card? Can you give more information?

I am going to upgrade my Xi 1546. Cpu will be T7400 but I have not decided which graphics card to buy. MXM-Upgrade don't sell X1900 anymore. 8600M GT can maybe be installed in Xi 1546 but has anybody done it.

Nice work!

Where did you buy your mobile 3650? Did it require any heatsink or other modifications? Did you take any photos when you swapped graphics card? Can you give more information?

I am going to upgrade my Xi 1546. Cpu will be T7400 but I have not decided which graphics card to buy. MXM-Upgrade don't sell X1900 anymore. 8600M GT can maybe be installed in Xi 1546 but has anybody done it.

I got it from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATI-AMD-HD-3650-256M...p3286.m20.l1116

this guy has loads but got stung with a £30 import tax. I haven't had to make any heatsink modifications as yet, the big chip at the rear of the card fits snuggly into a different groove on the heatsink from the x1800 which was quite lucky. I am however having problems as gpu-z reports strange clock settings that keep changing. I'll keep you posted and will take pictures once its mastered to show whats been done.

Im currently usin the latest ati driver modded with mobility modder. Nice suggestion tho I'll try the omega drivers just now

Oh dear no omega drivers for vista. Found drivers on the fujitsu site tho for AMILO Notebook Xa 3530 under AMD M86-M. The M86 is 3650, too good. I've also been going bananas because GPU-z and ati tools both report the clock speed and memory speeds incorrectly. This is because this card is not supported yet, spent hours thinking I'd broke something but it was just the software aaargh!

Oh dear no omega drivers for vista. Found drivers on the fujitsu site tho for AMILO Notebook Xa 3530 under AMD M86-M. The M86 is 3650, too good. I've also been going bananas because GPU-z and ati tools both report the clock speed and memory speeds incorrectly. This is because this card is not supported yet, spent hours thinking I'd broke something but it was just the software aaargh!

scratch that part about the fujitsu driver it didn't appear to do anything

Hello there,

i have also running a hd 3650 in an xi1554, but you have to do cooler modifications !!!!

Without modifications the cooler does not fit correctly.

The other thing is that the card from e-bay came without the nuts to mount the cooler. There are only four holes.

So i take the four nuts from an old defective x700 mobility.

With this two modifications this cards runs perfectly in an amilo xi1554.

3dmark05 score is 8700 points much faster than a 8600m gt with only 6500 points.

Hello there,

i have also running a hd 3650 in an xi1554, but you have to do cooler modifications !!!!

Without modifications the cooler does not fit correctly.

The other thing is that the card from e-bay came without the nuts to mount the cooler. There are only four holes.

So i take the four nuts from an old defective x700 mobility.

With this two modifications this cards runs perfectly in an amilo xi1554.

3dmark05 score is 8700 points much faster than a 8600m gt with only 6500 points.

This will be exciting :)

Have you any pics of cooler modifications? facey's problems can be overheating. Are X1800 nuts useless to install cooler properly? My wife has old Acer 3024WLMi with X700 but it is little risky to do anything thoughless :)

This will be exciting :)

Have you any pics of cooler modifications? facey's problems can be overheating. Are X1800 nuts useless to install cooler properly? My wife has old Acer 3024WLMi with X700 but it is little risky to do anything thoughless :)

As pointed out the card does not have the nuts for the heatsink. However to fit this card in the classic style of MacGyver all you need is a rubber band and to slide the heatsink until the chip at the rear of the car falls in to the little grove approx' a mm away from it. The issues with GPU-z and ati tools are because of software support. If you run 3d mark 06 it confirms the correct clock speeds. 3d Mark 06 score 4047. I still have the original 2 gig memory in my system and the original T7200 processor. When updating I had to reinstall the x1800 so that I could update to the FSC 1.25 bios because the system changes to a xi1526 when the 3650 is added, strange but this does happen.

As pointed out the card does not have the nuts for the heatsink. However to fit this card in the classic style of MacGyver all you need is a rubber band and to slide the heatsink until the chip at the rear of the car falls in to the little grove approx' a mm away from it. The issues with GPU-z and ati tools are because of software support. If you run 3d mark 06 it confirms the correct clock speeds. 3d Mark 06 score 4047. I still have the original 2 gig memory in my system and the original T7200 processor. When updating I had to reinstall the x1800 so that I could update to the FSC 1.25 bios because the system changes to a xi1526 when the 3650 is added, strange but this does happen.

another quick update, just got 8500 on 3d mark 05, this is just too good. I have taken some pics but not sure where to upload them, any suggestions folks?

You can take also the nuts from an x1800 mobility, because they are the same.

Ruber band is a bit risky, because of overheating problems.

You take the four nuts and solder them directly to the card.

You have to cut a liitle bit from the heatsink, that take only some minutes.

With this method the heatsink can be mounted perfectly on the card and it can be also fixed with four screws.

So you have the original assignment of card and heatsink.

Best Regards to ALL

You can take also the nuts from an x1800 mobility, because they are the same.

Ruber band is a bit risky, because of overheating problems.

You take the four nuts and solder them directly to the card.

You have to cut a liitle bit from the heatsink, that take only some minutes.

With this method the heatsink can be mounted perfectly on the card and it can be also fixed with four screws.

So you have the original assignment of card and heatsink.

Best Regards to ALL

Rubber band is perfect for testing purposes, I also added a small pad to the base of the back panel so when its screwed back in place it presses down on the heatsink. There was just no way I was doing any modifications until I knew it was gonna work.

How did you get the nuts off the old card I've sat for 20mins with the soldering iron pressed against it and they just won't budge, maybe my soldering iron just ain't up to the task. Also, what did you use to cut he heatsink?

I've not had this much fun since that hillbilly party last weekend, too good

Cheers

I used a heat gun. That works in a few seconds.

With solder iron no chance.

For cutting i used a dremel.

Don't wanna be a pest but what kind of heat gun? Theres quite a few and i don't wanna get one that isn't gonna do the job

cheers

Ok,

I bougt a broken Nvidia mxm card to get those nuts. I have an old butane-powered soldering/heat tool to do the job. Isn't it a little risky to solder nuts to the new graphics card? Can I glue nuts with plastic padding? Dremel I have already.

Next I'm going to order HD 3650 from ebay.

Ok,

I bougt a broken Nvidia mxm card to get those nuts. I have an old butane-powered soldering/heat tool to do the job. Isn't it a little risky to solder nuts to the new graphics card? Can I glue nuts with plastic padding? Dremel I have already.

Next I'm going to order HD 3650 from ebay.

Might be a bit risky but it'll be fun too. Upgrading the graphics in this machine has been the best thing I've done with it. I had no end of problems with the x1800, the first one started with graphics glitches and kept overheating. I bought a second which worked but the overheating problem was still there. Now I have this HD 3650 fitted with a rubber band that has no overheating issue and plays games extremely well for 8 hours solid with no problems. I've ordered tools and will be doing the mods to have it seated properly. :)

I have now fully tested this baby and everything seemed to work beautifully until on one of those days when I actually switched the machine off for a period of time. When I switched the laptop back on it would not start, it beeped once then seemed to keep resetting itself continually without displaying anything on screen. When powered off and rebooted the machine would start no problem. Does anybody have any solutions as to why this machine will not start first time when cold?

All suggestions welcome, come on now don't be shy.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I got a xi1546 and my videocard is toasted (not completely yet, but getting there) and im thinking of replacing it. I just dont really know what to do. Reading a lot on internet and it doesn't seem too hard (if you dont get too much problems) and im not a complete idiot. But still, not too happy about having to replace it, cause if i do get problems i'm screwed :)

i got some questions, I hope you can help me...

From what i can find out the HD 3650 is a good replacement, but atm my laptop is always getting way way to hot (70-80 idle, up to 90+ while working, cant seem to get it to cool down, hate fujitsu siemens, my last lappy had the same problem) do you know if the 3650 generates less heat? Or another way to cool my laptop? Don't wanna have my next graphic card toasted aswell...

I think the x1800 is a 46 mm and this one is a 41 mm, will that be difficult to overcome? I don see my self going at it with heat guns or soldering things (although I'll probably have to?)

Someone here said he made photos when he replaced the card, would you be so kind to post them? I can always ask my brother to help me, but since he has no patience, a short temper and a general tendecy to destroy everything he takes apart I'd rather do it on my own.

Or else, is any of you guys living in the netherlands/belgium or close...? :)

Except for the start up problems, is the card working properly so far? Is it worth all the trouble? Is it any good for gaming? I don't wanna give up on this laptop yet, its not that old and not too bad, and i dont have money for a new one...

Facey, this is what nVision has to say about it (you've probably seen it, but on the off chance you haven't)

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html all the way on the bottom

So I think for now at least its not fixable, or did you find a way?

But if thats gonna be my only problem, ill gladly switch my card for the 3650

Hey guys,

I got a xi1546 and my videocard is toasted (not completely yet, but getting there) and im thinking of replacing it. I just dont really know what to do. Reading a lot on internet and it doesn't seem too hard (if you dont get too much problems) and im not a complete idiot. But still, not too happy about having to replace it, cause if i do get problems i'm screwed :)

i got some questions, I hope you can help me...

From what i can find out the HD 3650 is a good replacement, but atm my laptop is always getting way way to hot (70-80 idle, up to 90+ while working, cant seem to get it to cool down, hate fujitsu siemens, my last lappy had the same problem) do you know if the 3650 generates less heat? Or another way to cool my laptop? Don't wanna have my next graphic card toasted aswell...

I think the x1800 is a 46 mm and this one is a 41 mm, will that be difficult to overcome? I don see my self going at it with heat guns or soldering things (although I'll probably have to?)

Someone here said he made photos when he replaced the card, would you be so kind to post them? I can always ask my brother to help me, but since he has no patience, a short temper and a general tendecy to destroy everything he takes apart I'd rather do it on my own.

Or else, is any of you guys living in the netherlands/belgium or close...? :)

Except for the start up problems, is the card working properly so far? Is it worth all the trouble? Is it any good for gaming? I don't wanna give up on this laptop yet, its not that old and not too bad, and i dont have money for a new one...

Facey, this is what nVision has to say about it (you've probably seen it, but on the off chance you haven't)

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html all the way on the bottom

So I think for now at least its not fixable, or did you find a way?

But if thats gonna be my only problem, ill gladly switch my card for the 3650

you'll need to use a dremel to modify the heatsink to fit the 3650. Some people have had problems with start up and others have had their system run fine. Once this card is in and you've booted up it is sweet. Games run beautifully and you'll get good benchmarks. I changed from the 3650 and tried a 8600gt, i get no start up issue but the card loses 5/600 points in 3dmark06 (sob i think i'll have to change back and put up with the start up issue...lol). The green pcb 3650 with the HP_Wistron_Vox_M86M_10.88.28604_FGL vbios seems to be the working card for most, although i still had a start up issue with that as well.

Edited by facey

• 11 months later...