LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Question

TNGOG

#1 Is it possible for someone to mod ati and nvidia drivers, to make all of them work under win9x?

Yes, but why?

It would only apply to very very old drivers and graphics cards.

The superior windows 2k and XP OSes were out when the first mobile GeForce launched anyway.

We should have some modded drivers in the archives, but you shouldn't expect anything new.

If your PC is too crappy to run XP you should run linux or go buy an atom CPU.

Yes, but why?

I am buying a secondary computer when i get the chance , its going to be a Gateway/Intel Dual core 2 or something else , with a Diamond 4670 card. Haven't really made a choice to wish OS i will use, but there is a 99% chance i will use XP home edition or i might get Vista 32bit.

Anyways for the computer which i am using now which is my main rig, i plan to downgrade back to windows98se. I recently upgraded to XP home edition, which is great, however if you want to play older games in peace, with all the eye candy at 60fps, well its wise to go back to using windows98se. So i will have one computer for older games, and one for the new.

It would only apply to very very old drivers and graphics cards.

No. First of all, i am looking into buying the X1550 , i would need drivers 6 and 7 to use them. I am not sure, but does the 4.3 worked with the X1550?

Also, the other cards which i have in mind with using with Win9x is 8400GS, 8500GT or the 8600GT, so i would have to use anything in the 90's or 175 and up with those i guess.

If your PC is too crappy to run XP you should run linux or go buy an atom CPU.

Read what i said above please.

Nvidia stopped making 9x drivers long before the 8x cards. They are probably not supported. Even if you mod the INF, you will probably run into lots of problems.

You could always run a virtual machine or wine under linux for really old games, instead of actually running 9x as your main OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright obviously you don't know anything about win9x, because if you did you would of known that win9x is not a crappy OS and it runs my older games and some new ones just fine. Games like Quake 4 i can Max out with AAX2 on and get 30-60fps.

So if you don't mind , can you just tell me how to mod the 80's drivers, the 90's , even 70's or 60's or 100 or 175 to make them work under win9x.

My PC is old, its a PIII/600MHZ with 512MB and i am using a 90watts PSU and my video card is a BFG 6200 OC PCI card. I tried playing XP home ediion on it, and about 80% of all my games work like a POS.

Going back to win9x, i can play those games with ease, old and kinda new. Games like Flatout 1 and 2, 30-87fps, Prey Max out with AAX2 and widescreen 16.9 i get 25-50, etc. Quake 4 all max out with AAX2 on, i get 30-60.

Anyways, i would like to use other drivers just for testing. :)

And btw, i don't need linux lol. mY Rig is just fine and win9x is a great OS.

Edited by TNGOG

You can't mod an XP driver to work under windows 9x. Do you not understand anything about programming?

None of us mods/super users are expert reverse engineering hackers.

If you can ever get the source code for the drivers, then it might be possible to mod them.

You will have to take the latest 9x driver that nvidia made, or complain to them to make you new ones.

Really though, you can buy an atom processor board and a GB stick of RAM for under $100. You could use that with your current graphics card and hard drive too.

It would use less power too than your pc currently does and run a lot faster.

Get that and run Ubuntu/Windows XP professional and a virtual machine and you'll be in business.