LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Looking for Possible Fix on 8600m

Guest apocalypse

Guest apocalypse

I have an ASUS laptop that was a GeForce 8600m GT 256mb graphics card. On the NVIDIA website, as far as the specs for my graphics card, it says, "Dual-link DVI outputs for digital flat panel display resolutions up to 2560x1600". This is the resolution needed to run a 30" monitor.

The monitor I have is a 30" Samsung SyncMaster which only has a DVI input (white input). My laptop only has the HDMI output (gold slot w/ one slit that looks like USB port) and the standard VGA (blue pronged slot).

So, I bought the DVI to HDMI adapter and I can only get my resolution to 1280x800.

I then took it to the store and tried it out on a Gateway 30" monitor w/ HDMI and I got 1920x1200.

I am thinking this is a software problem, seeing how HDMI 1.3 supports 2560x1600 as does my graphics card...

Does ANYBODY know of a fix or a way to mod a file to get my graphics card to not be capped...I think Asus capped the resolution whatever drivers I have been using.

when not pluged in to an external VDU can you get additional resolutions on native screen? was thinking you could add resolutions to the inf file, but wont help if that is the case.

try a new driver. may solve this issue. go to the main page and download 180.42

read FAQ guide for info about the modified inf file (which you will need to download)

note: converting formates for display cables will often result in loss of quality and also certian features will not be present. this may be the case. try on a VDU tha has HDMI.

Guest apocalypse
when not pluged in to an external VDU can you get additional resolutions on native screen? was thinking you could add resolutions to the inf file, but wont help if that is the case.

try a new driver. may solve this issue. go to the main page and download 180.42

read FAQ guide for info about the modified inf file (which you will need to download)

note: converting formates for display cables will often result in loss of quality and also certian features will not be present. this may be the case. try on a VDU tha has HDMI.

I am just confused as to how I would modify a file myself to include 2560x1800...

And if this is even possible to get this resolution with 8600m GT w/ HDMI output going into HDMI input monitor...As I am only getting 1920x1200.

If it is indeed a software issue with drivers, I don't see how a newer driver from a couple of weeks ago would fix a problem on a graphics card that has been around for a year or so. Wouldn't a driver from a few months ago be completely fine for a product that is much older than 2 months.

Thanks

new drivers often revert to other settings in an attempt to fix issues. so you may find better or worse performance. also may find more or less bugs.

try the new driver see if that helps. the modified inf file that you will need to download and use will add suport to maximum resolutions for your system. so if this does not fix the issue then its the plugs that are restricting you.

also make sure that in the nvidia control panel. when you setup additional VDU's that you select the external display first in th epull down menu. that way it will give more options for resolutions