LaptopVideo2Go Forums

dell vostro 1700 & nvidia 8600m gt

oddyutza

Hello to everybody

I have a dell vostro 1700 & i`m looking for nvidia 8600M GT XP@ 32Bit drivers (newer than 171.16).

anyone has any ideeas?

pls help

br++ thanks in advance

I have the same problem but just with HP Pavilion Entertaiment 1020EA with GeForce 9600M GT 512mb DDR2 128bit Windows Vista 64bit, I'cant find the right video drivers, can anyone help me? Thanks

• 5 months later...
Guest Don Pelayo

Did you ever get it working? I have a Dell Vostro 1700 too, I installed XP32 and the card is a GeForce 8600M GT.

If so please tell me what you did and which driver to use. Every driver I manage to install doesn't handle 3D acceleration and any game is unplayable.

I am desperate.

What have you tried? Have you tried 182.46? try the dox version.

Guest Don Pelayo

Thanks for the fast response!

I have a Dell Vostro 1700. It shipped with Vista, whether you liked it or not - I did not. But the specs where so high I thought I would give it a try and, worse case scenario, install XP later. After suffering it for a couple of years I decided to upgrade to XP-32, and to my surprise Dell refused to provide a driver for its card: an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT. To my astonishment Nvidia refused, too. Nvidia provides a driver for notebooks that supports my card unless it is installed in certain laptop models, including Vostro 1700. They say I should talk to my vendor, but my vendor, my dear friends at Dell, provides a driver that does not install; previous versions, which do install, provide no 3D acceleration (FPS of 6 at medium quality in Oblivion which means no 3D acceleration; it was obviously much higher under Vista). And they say I should go to Nvidia. So basically both send me to the other one.

I have since tried dozens of drivers, and spent hours reading in forums. The drivers that work accept being installed and allow smooth normal operation: browsing the internet and scrolling, for instance, work well (this is also the case of the ones that worked from Dell). But if I try a 3D game, as I said before, the frame rate is ridiculously low, and even moving the mouse pointer becomes difficult and cumbersome. This happens once the 3D engine comes into scene, in the initial menu it's ok.

I have downloaded several drivers from this page and tried them with the same result; in each and every case I have downloaded the inf file to substitute the one that comes with the download (the modded inf, not the "INF Enhancer", whatever that is). I have even downloaded "driver sweeper" (BTW, I assume it is the program you can find in the GURU3D page, here: www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ , please do tell me if I downloaded the wrong program!) to perform a "clean install". I have also looked though the drivers looking for one that explicitly states that supports my card. The few I found didn't work.

I have also downloaded PhysX from Nvidia, installed it and activated it via Nvidia control Panel. It doesn't make any difference. I have also tried to install something called "CUDA", but it won't install.

BTW, when I run Driver Sweeper I don't clean "Nvidia - chipset", I only clean "Nvidia - Display", "ATi- Display" and "AGEIA - PhysX" - the last one probably a remnant of the installation PhysX. Just in case this might have something to do, although I doubt it. Should I "clean" it, too?

I am going to try the one you mention... but I don't have much hope since I see no reason why it would work where the others have failed so miserably.

There is something that rings an alarm: how can a driver for the same card not work in certain laptops? I am coming to believe there must be some sort of agreement between Dell & Nvidia with Microsoft not to provide drivers for XP for certain models, in order to promote Vista. But, if that were the case, how would the installer know it is a system in which it should not install? I am starting to become suspicious over other drivers "for Vostro 1700". This last paragraph might be a bit paranoid, though.

I would very much appreciate any kind of help or suggestions. Has anyone managed to make his Vostro work under XP-32?

Guest Don Pelayo

Sorry for the double post, but being a guest I can't edit the previous one: yes, it was one of first I tried. It does not work.

Perhaps I should register and become a member...

As far as I know, dell did make drivers for the 8600M GT for xp x86, like these 175

I've always used modded drivers since 156 without any problems, so those mentionned above should also work :)

Guest Don Pelayo

Even though the page you provide states it links to a driver for a 8400M GT -I have the 8600- the name of the archive is the same as if you go and try to grab a driver for the 8600: R190066.exe; they both occupy the same amount of memory and they both refuse to install on the grounds that the "Nvidia software installer can not find a compatible driver with present hardware" (*). I have not however ran a bit by bit comparison to see if they are both the same file, but they do look like they are. If I download a previous version I get the R168180.EXE, which installs but as the rest provides no hardware acceleration. I have even taken the INF file from the R168180 and overwritten the one of the R190066. That allowed me to install the latest drive, but it gave the same result as the rest: no 3D hardware acceleration. I would think it's the card if I didn't know it worked perfectly under Vista.

I didn't answer immediately yesterday for I wanted first to check if it could be a different file with the same name.

(*) Note: I am translating from a message in Spanish, so the corresponding message in English should be similar but not necessarily identical.

Ok, since it seems I will need to post several times I have decided to register.

I can see that you are using Vista, gtnrkt; the problem is finding a suitable driver for XP32.

Have you ever had XP-32 installed in your Vostro 1700? Has anyone managed to make 3D acceleration work on a Vostro 1700 under XP32 EVER?

Not tried XP on mine (linux = better :) ), but other people did it and it worked without problem...

Very strange that these drivers doesn't support your 8600M GT without modification... your card is an 0407 (8600MGT with 256MB DDRII dedicated) right? (look into the device manager -> informations on your GPU, or with GPU-Z)

What 3D apps did you test on (when it worked) ?

Screenshot of GPU-Z:

post-37988-1239993299_thumb.jpg

I tested it on several games: Oblivion, Doom 3, Civilization 4... They all worked normally within the expected limitations of the card (and Vista). I wasn't raly testing it but using it. I was expecting to obtain a substantial improvement under XP...

Do you know those people who apparently managed to install those drivers successfully? Could you tell them to post here? It would save from what is becoming a lasting frustration.

Edited by Don Pelayo

I don't know them, but on another forum (in french) someone did it and didn't say anything about such a problem

And your card is exactly the same as mine so... I really don't know where the problem is located...

Have you tried the stock 101 who was the first to be released with the V1700? (must be somewhere on this forum)

Otherwise, maybe reinstalling XP is the solution... (or going back to vista, if your programs work with it (the graphics performance has been improved a lot, and is almost as good as XP now I think (approx 4000 3Dmarks06 @ 1024))

The "stock 101"? What is that? A driver?

Reinstalling XP is not the solution. When I installed it the graphic card driver started giving problems right away. I had to look carefully to find drivers that at least allowed me to use the card without the 3D. In other words, I have already "reinstalled" XP many times, only that it was two months ago. If I find a suitable drive it should work without needing to reinstall XP again. I would expect perhaps less performance, but not total absence of 3D acceleration.

I agree that Vista is less horrible with SP1, but still I'm sure worse than XP. And also, I don't want to allow Dell to decide which OS I have to use.

Could you give a link to the forum you are refering to? It might be worth a try.

EDIT: I assume " stock 101" refers to the 101.xx series. I am downloading the highest one that lists my card as supported (101.53) and will see if it works.

Edited by Don Pelayo

By stock I mean default drivers (those you get when you first start your computer)

He made a whole benchmark and an install of XP here (french)

He used the 101.28 drivers

I have tried 101.53 and 101.28. Interestingly enough they yield different performance than previous drivers: instead of 8-10 FPS -which I assumed means no 3D acceleration at all- I can now enjoy 1-3 FPS. So it seems that different drivers might actually be DOING something, after all!

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "those you get when you first start your computer". Do you mean the VGA "generic driver" that remains when you uninstall a graphics driver?

Thinking about this I think I should note I tried to do a lean install of XP to improve performance. I tried to be conservative and only uncheck services I thought were clearly not necessary, but I might have made a mistake. Is anyone aware of any XP service that if unchecked could be causing my problem? The other non-standard thing I've done is dynamic drives. I have three partitions, one for the system, another one of the same size for programs and a large one for data. The smaller ones are independent and in different physical drives and the largest is a stripped partition (that supposingly emulates RAID 0; I decided to do this when I found out the the motherboard of the Vostro doesn't accept RAID).

No 3D acceleration means full software... that means really slow (you won't even get to 2 fps in oblivion at 640x480 on minimal settings) So with your results, your GPU is probably accelerating 3d apps

Now to make a performance test, use 3DMark06 and make some benchmarks (indicate resolution (like 1280x1024) on which you made it, and the result scores)

Then, use GPU-Z's "sensor" tab to keep an eye on the freqs (should go to core:475mhz mem:400mhz on full usage) and the temperature of your card when you run an 3D intensive program

Also check the control center to set the settings to "use my preference emphasizing : Performance (to make sure FSAA is off :) )

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "those you get when you first start your computer". Do you mean the VGA "generic driver" that remains when you uninstall a graphics driver?

No, I juste meant the ones (from nvidia) you can install from the drivers CD :)

Thinking about this I think I should note I tried to do a lean install of XP to improve performance. I tried to be conservative and only uncheck services I thought were clearly not necessary, but I might have made a mistake. Is anyone aware of any XP service that if unchecked could be causing my problem? The other non-standard thing I've done is dynamic drives. I have three partitions, one for the system, another one of the same size for programs and a large one for data. The smaller ones are independent and in different physical drives and the largest is a stripped partition (that supposingly emulates RAID 0; I decided to do this when I found out the the motherboard of the Vostro doesn't accept RAID).

Just make sure all the services from Nvidia are active :P

I don't know for the raid, but i've always partitioned my disk so that shouldn't be the problem

Edited by gtnrkt

Having a driver issue for my Vostro 1500 8600M GT as well.

In Guild Wars, each driver I use gets progressively worse. Flickers occasionally then after a 1-2 days of use, everything starts getting REALLY pixellated. Pixels don't go away until I uninstall drivers.

What drivers were you using ?

What are the temps of your gpu ?

Have you checked if your gpu clocks aren't changing (lowering) when you play GW ? (look with RivaTuner or GPU-Z)

What drivers were you using ?

What are the temps of your gpu ?

Have you checked if your gpu clocks aren't changing (lowering) when you play GW ? (look with RivaTuner or GPU-Z)

Used 179.53, 173.65, and 179.67 and had this problem with all of them.

Currently testing 185.68. Haven't played Guild Wars long enough with this driver to find out whether it's the winner.

System:

Dell Vostro 1500

Windows Vista Home Basic

Intel T7500 2.2ghz

Nvidia 8600M GT

Edited by zeth006