LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT: No 2D clocks?

Adrgha

I was fiddling around with RivaTuner today, when I noticed my 8600M GT does not clock down to 2D clocks in Windows, instead it runs low power 3D clocks. It clocks up to 3D clocks as normal when a 3D application is launched. I've tried disabling Aero, but that didn't help. I'm using the newest 180.42 drivers and Vista Ultimate 64bit. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Edited by Adrgha

Yes, it's perhaps the default (bugged) behaviour.

Yes, as in you have the same problem? It's quite annoying, I have to say. I bet I lose quite a bit of battery life because of this.

I just changed my lower 3d profile to 150/300/150 mhz so i am gaining a lot more battery. I did that in the bios though

I just changed my lower 3d profile to 150/300/150 mhz so i am gaining a lot more battery. I did that in the bios though

In the system bios or in the VGA bios? So this is really a known problem for the 8600M GT?

Ok well, I enabled low level 3D clock adjustment in RivaTuner, and set them to 150/300/150 (core/shader/memory). I believe the card lowers the voltage for 2D clocks though, so I'm not getting the full power saving potential out of it, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Edited by Adrgha

Ok well, I enabled low level 3D clock adjustment in RivaTuner, and set them to 150/300/150 (core/shader/memory). I believe the card lowers the voltage for 2D clocks though, so I'm not getting the full power saving potential out of it, but it's better than nothing I guess.

FWIW, the 8600M GT in my macbook pro downclocks to the 2D settings properly in windows XP. But i guess you're in Vista and thats the issue?

What drivers have you found to be best for the 8600M GT and allow overclocking? So far i've only had luck with the 160.04s. Nothing else i've tried will let me OC.

FWIW, the 8600M GT in my macbook pro downclocks to the 2D settings properly in windows XP. But i guess you're in Vista and thats the issue?

What drivers have you found to be best for the 8600M GT and allow overclocking? So far i've only had luck with the 160.04s. Nothing else i've tried will let me OC.

Well, I actuallly managed to fix it yesterday. I rolled back to the 178.84 drivers and all is well. It changes as it should between 2D/Low power 3D/Performance 3D now. I've been running Performance 3D at 675MHz core, 1458MHz shader and 900MHz memory since I bought this laptop in june. I've not had any problems overclocking with any of the drivers I've tried. I guess drivers for Macs are a bit different?