LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrade Video Card in Sony Vaio VGN FZ190E/B

mts7

So I have a Sony Vaio VGN FZ190E/B with the Intel 965 Graphics. I want to change my graphics card to an nVidia chipset with dedicated memory (128MB minimum). If it must use shared memory, I can do that, but my Sony BIOS is extremely limited in that area.

How can I install a new video card in my notebook and how do I know which ones are compatible with my notebook?

Unfortunately your graphics are integrated onto the motherboard so it is impossible for you to upgrade.

Unfortunately your graphics are integrated onto the motherboard so it is impossible for you to upgrade.

That doesn't sound fun. I know how to solder. ;-) I wonder if there is some way to do it without replacing the motherboard, though I wouldn't mind replacing it if I could find an inexpensive board.

The vga is on the southbridge chipset on your motherboard (and is therefore not replaceable) and there is no space for an add on board. Unless your model vaio is available with better graphics as standard, then it is impossible to upgrade the gfx. If it is available with better gfx (I don't think it is), then you need a new mobo with the better gfx already installed.

Sorry mate, but thats what you get with mass market laptops.

The vga is on the southbridge chipset on your motherboard (and is therefore not replaceable) and there is no space for an add on board. Unless your model vaio is available with better graphics as standard, then it is impossible to upgrade the gfx. If it is available with better gfx (I don't think it is), then you need a new mobo with the better gfx already installed.

Sorry mate, but thats what you get with mass market laptops.

I believe that same model notebook can have the nVidia 8400 in it. I want to upgrade to that one, if possible. I didn't know it was on the southbridge. That could make things difficult. :'(

It isn't the same model, I know which one you are talking about and although I can't remember the exact model i know it wasn't your exact model. Anyway, yes, you're pretty much stuck with it. Sorry, but as said before, getting a new gpu on your system is effectiively impossible by most standards. To be able to upgrade your GPU, MXM compatibility is currently a requirement. Keep that in mind when you are going to buy your next system.