LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The New MacBook: Has Apple done it again?

mobilenvidia

Took Apple long enough to what is already mainstream in the PC Notebook world, but we welcome all Macbook users that seek, Windoze driver salvation :)

There is no doubt that Apple products have that elusive, must-have quality. They are aspirational, good-looking and, like the iconic iPod and now the iPhone, have in some respects redefined the sector in which they operate.

Steve Jobs and Co at Apple have just taken another swipe at the laptop market with the release of a new range of MacBook and MacBook Pro computers. For those who are not fully up with Apple hardware, the introduction of this laptop range around four years ago helped to fuel Apple?s resurgence in the computing market.

The original MacBooks and MacBook Pros were a fresh new look in a sea of grey or black square and rather boring mobile computers. The fresh, smooth, aluminium or white and black plastic exteriors and the easy to use Apple operating system became an almost instant hit.

The computers themselves were expensive; feature for feature, with the comparative Windows-based offerings from other manufacturers like Dell and HP, but offered a cool factor to which the others could only aspire.

macbook_13.jpg

The new 13" Apple MacBook

After an enormously successful run driven by growing Apple brand awareness, and the success of Apple product such as the iPod, Apple has refreshed, and released a new range of MacBook Pro and MacBook laptops. The notable features that will help substantiate the claim of redefining the space are cutting edge chipsets from Nvidia, an innovative new construction methodology and a new take on the touchpad.

The new MacBooks, from a 13.3? screen to the 17? MacBook Pro, will all be made using a manufacturing technique that carves the case from a solid billet of aluminium. The benefits of this are rigidity, far fewer parts, and a sculpted look that both feels and looks great. This technique is not new to consumer electronics, and has been utilised for years by certain high-end audio manufacturers like Wadia Digital. But it is a first in the laptop space and confers many benefits to the design.

macbook_15.jpg

The new 15" Apple MacBook

Although I have not actually touched and felt the new cases or laptops, this one tactile element can only further increase the cool factor of these laptops. The same technique was used on the MacBook Air, and that device has to be felt to be believed. The fact that Apple has brought the same construction to the MacBook does in many ways redefine what can be expected from computers in this space.

Source

I have two huge problems with the new Macbook (Pro) in comparison to the old one. First, they dropped the Intel core logic. I could understand not wanting to use the Intel GMA, but instead they could just have attached an Nvidia graphics chip, rather than switching to an Nvidia chipset. It has been proven in every chipset comparison benchmark that Intel chipsets outperform all other manufacturer's chipsets for the Intel platform. My second problem with the new MacBook (Pro) is the lack of the touchpad button. Tap clicking is one of the things I hate most about touchpads, therefore on my PC I just turn it off and use the button instead. If I do not, I end up clicking where I do not mean to click, which on several occasions has caused my to delete a file I did not mean to delete. On the Macs though, there is quite obviously not an option to disable the tap clicking. I had thought that eventually Apple touchpads were going to start using two buttons (like the Mighty Mouse) but I was Wrong. Instead of adding more functionality, they removed it.

Guest DE PECKER Jean-Louis

Hello,

There is a touchpad button in the new macbook : it's the touchpad itself that you could push entirely ! Has this new nvidia chipset already tested and fac to Intel chipset ?

Thanks for your attention.

The new touchpad is so cool... The entire touchpad is a real button... If you prefer a button under the touchpad, then just click the bottom part of your new touch and it will be like on your old computer... You can click with one finger and move your mouse with an other one....

Guest Guest12

actually the second picture of the mac is a macbook pro not a macbook (look at label under the glossy screen)

and the trackpad has a button, its just hidden under the trackpad..

it is also very customizable...

you dont like it that when u tap it accidentally deletes files???.. then just reduce the sensiblity of the trackpad

Something tells me the price/performance will be very bad... But thats ok because the ugly looks pretty

Edited by Au_Xtr3me

actually the second picture of the mac is a macbook pro not a macbook (look at label under the glossy screen)

and the trackpad has a button, its just hidden under the trackpad..

it is also very customizable...

you dont like it that when u tap it accidentally deletes files???.. then just reduce the sensiblity of the trackpad

Macs are not known for having lots of settings to customize....

Im actually quite surprised that the 15" comes with 9500 + 9600 GT 512Mb and the 17" only comes with an 8600 GT

As well as the 15" being 2.8Ghz and the 17" only 2.6 Ghz

Just seems a waste for a 17" laptop. Only thing going for the larger of the two is screen resolution, the titanuim look which is more expensive anyway and the backlit keyboard.

if you want a fully customisable OS go slackware (linux)

:)

Linux rocks. No doubt there.

I have two huge problems with the new Macbook (Pro) in comparison to the old one. First, they dropped the Intel core logic. I could understand not wanting to use the Intel GMA, but instead they could just have attached an Nvidia graphics chip, rather than switching to an Nvidia chipset. It has been proven in every chipset comparison benchmark that Intel chipsets outperform all other manufacturer's chipsets for the Intel platform. My second problem with the new MacBook (Pro) is the lack of the touchpad button. Tap clicking is one of the things I hate most about touchpads, therefore on my PC I just turn it off and use the button instead. If I do not, I end up clicking where I do not mean to click, which on several occasions has caused my to delete a file I did not mean to delete. On the Macs though, there is quite obviously not an option to disable the tap clicking. I had thought that eventually Apple touchpads were going to start using two buttons (like the Mighty Mouse) but I was Wrong. Instead of adding more functionality, they removed it.

I know many don't like Apple computers, but I want to clear up a couple misconceptions in your post.

The touchpad still has buttons. The whole trackpad is a button, and if you push in the left side, it's a left click, right side is a right click. Also, there is the ability to turn off tap clicking. This trackpad is actually more functional then the previous Macbook Pro trackpad.