LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help needed on Acer Aspire 5520G with 8600M GS 512mb

de3pkeeper

Hi there,

first I'd have to apologize if I am bringing up a topic that has already been discussed as I couldnt find one regarding my problem.

And my problem is this: I've successflly installed the latest 18xx ForceWare drivers on the notebook and then attempted to OC the GPU from within RivaTuner 2.11 (downloaded it from Guru3D). And for some reason, when click on apply and then on OK, the settings are reset to factory speeds.

The question is which Forceware version should i use (that's if you think the problem is in the driver version), which OCing program should i choose to push the GPU a little further.

An answer from someone who has had the same trouble and has managed to deal with it would be most appreciated as well as any other help.

Thank you all, waiting for your posts. Till then, bye :) .

UPDATE: I looked around in other threads and concluded that the problem is most likely the driver version. Is there anyone with a 5520G and the same 8600 in it who can tell me which version works, because honestly, I wouldn't want to install every 16xx to 17xx driver package to find the one that works. thanks again. hope to hear from someone soon.

UPDATE: Oh, did I mention that I am using the preinstalled Vista Home Premium 32-bit? Somehow I came to think it's important too... :)

Edited by de3pkeeper

Guest Karas Pavilion dv9780ew
Hi there,

first I'd have to apologize if I am bringing up a topic that has already been discussed as I couldnt find one regarding my problem.

And my problem is this: I've successflly installed the latest 18xx ForceWare drivers on the notebook and then attempted to OC the GPU from within RivaTuner 2.11 (downloaded it from Guru3D). And for some reason, when click on apply and then on OK, the settings are reset to factory speeds.

The question is which Forceware version should i use (that's if you think the problem is in the driver version), which OCing program should i choose to push the GPU a little further.

An answer from someone who has had the same trouble and has managed to deal with it would be most appreciated as well as any other help.

Thank you all, waiting for your posts. Till then, bye :) .

hello i have the same problem .

Try the 178.24, it may solve your problem. Have you ever been able to overclock with any drivers?

Try the 178.24, it may solve your problem. Have you ever been able to overclock with any drivers?

No, all were "OC-resistant". But I haven't tried out many of them - 3 or 4 I think. The last time during installation my LCD went blank, no backlight, no nuttin so I thought I'd take it eaasy.

I have a Acer 5720ZG and i had your same problem... There are 2 solution:

1- install the driver forceware 169.04, is the only driver that let u overclock, 177 178 179 and 180 have overclock lock;

2- edit the bios of your 8600gs.. I did this for overclock mine 9300m G and all went fine.. If u follow the guide to how edit bios of nvidia card without make mistakes then u should be fine... U need NiBitor and Nvflash tools + a USB pen drive. Search for a guide, there are few here and in guru forum.

Are the only 2 way till now trust me

• 2 weeks later...
Hi do you have heat problems with your 8600mGS during high level grafiks?

Cheers

No, luckily no such problems. But I think they will come about when I start overclocking.