LaptopVideo2Go Forums

x1800 vs. 9600

TheAlien

How much heat does the Ati mobile x1800 (256MB) generate in watts at Idle and under Load ?

How much oes the Nvidia Mobile 9600 (512MB DDR3) generate under Idle and under Load ?

Does someone have some numbers ?

Heat in watts? Watts is a unit of power. So I won't be able to give you a temperature in watts. However I can tell you that both of these cards will give you around the same heat values at idle and under load. I don't have exact numbers but I can tell you that both give similar idle and load temps (maybe high 80's under load). Are you considering an upgrade?

I already bought the card (9600). I am only waiting to pick it up at my brother in Germany, next week (i am in the US at the moment).

Temperature values don`t help because they depend on the cooling system and the temperature at which the fans kick on.

I don't understand. You asked for heat values so I gave you temperature values. I am guessing you want power consumption. For that you will have to try google. I am quite sure that you will get info using that method.

you are very correct on that point there, but still, temperture can't be in watts, but you can say the "effeciency" of it and whatever % is left is the Eloss(energy lossed in Watt) then you calculate that, most of the % are in heat. and to calculate the effeciency is hard on a graphics card, we can however, check the wattage that the specific graphics card use on notebookcheck, a 9600 is 23 Watt, then we can relatively check the 3dmark score as the actual power, then if you can find the watt for x1800, we can probably check the differences in both.

What he means is the amount of electrical energy that is dissipated as heat. So its not the overall power consumption, rather a measure of efficiency i.e. 9600M GT consumes 23 watts but has an output of 7 watts of heat. (heat and temperature are different)

Its most likely that the thermal output for the x1800 is higher than the 9600m GT for lower performance.

I believe processors use that system to determine their thermal catagory by Thermal Design Power (TDP) meaning that a cooling solution can dissipate x watts of heat. Wattage can be used as a measure of heat energy, but not temperature (the two are different).

X1800 has a 30Watt TDP from Uniwill....

9600GT has a 23Watt TDP from Uniwill...

So long, maybe it will help :)

yes, he wants to know the watt is lost due to temperture, of course x1800 will be hotter in the SAME performence, but consider this, you can get a really powerful pentium 4 at like 130w, and a low end core duo at like 75w? at equal perfomence, since core duo is based on smaller transistors, they are more effecient, thus less heat, core duo will probably run at like 30-40C, and p4 will be burning at like 60C, that is essentially what he is looking for. which also means, 9600 CAN still have the same heat, since it can be clocked higher with with stand the same amount of heat due to better effciency, so this is ehy he is asking this

I got the card. I did install it temporarily... It boots into windows without drivers. Haven`t tried more, becuase I need to modify the cooler a bit.

What can i do against that message that shows up for 30sec every time I turn the notebook on the first time ? (says something about: "...couldn`t recognize mxm porfile .... ")

How does this message affect the card ?

So, I "moded" the cooler. And it seems to run fine. But I still get an error message before the Mainboardbios at bootup:

I installed the 178.24 detonator for Vista 64 with the laptop2go inf, but I cannot raise the resolution from 800x600 ! Is this limited due to the error message i get before the mainboardbios ?

post-5705-1226397644_thumb.jpg