LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware m5500i-R3

Guest bfrog

I own an Alienware m5500i-R3 Notebook with a recently burned-out nvidia 7600 GO.

According to the mainboard which says "P53" it's a Uniwill P53IN - Clone.

Unfortunately mxm-upgrade.com lists all new cards only as "assumed" for my notebook, none verified.

(http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html)

Any idea if a nvidia 8600M GT or a ATI HD 3650 would work?

I read the thread posted a few months ago about nearly the same probleme, but i still dont know

which one will fit and Alienware's habit of using the same model name again and again wont help neither.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MXM-Carte-graphique-NVI...p3286.m20.l1116

happy birthday~~

as discribed Compatible laptop models are:

ACER ASPIRE: 4520G/4710G/4720G/5520G/5710G/5720G/5920G/7520G/7720G etc. most models have MXM slots.

ALIENWARE m5500/m5550/m5700/m5750

Fujitsu-Siemens A1667G/M1437G/M1439G/M3438G/M4438G/Xi1526/Pi1536/Xi1546

MSI L735/L745/M677

Here comes the problem:

Alienware is actually selling 2 different m5500's.

- m5500 - which is an Unwill 259EN3 and will run a nvidia 8600M GT

- m5500i-R3 - Uniwill P53IN, different CPU, different chipset - also branded as m5550

I'll give it a try and report afterwards.

Hi i have a 5550 i-r3 and have upgradet to 8600mgt 512mb this works fine you must install alienware bios2.06w with the newer 2.07w this cards not work.

My hardware settings :

T7200 2,0ghz intel i945 pm chipset this is same as 5550i-r3

Edited by Polofons

• 1 month later...

You can always try ebay.

• 1 month later...

Got m5550-R3 working with the HD 3650 512 MB on Bios 2.07. Getting random game crashes though, probably due to overheating. Heatsink Mod and new heatpads neccessary.

Does anyone solve the overheating problem during games? I've been trying to find a solution through Vbios edit. Cannon change fan speed though

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Got m5550-R3 working with the HD 3650 512 MB on Bios 2.07. Getting random game crashes though, probably due to overheating. Heatsink Mod and new heatpads neccessary.

Does anyone solve the overheating problem during games? I've been trying to find a solution through Vbios edit. Cannon change fan speed though

I have AHTEC Signal P53IA4 (motherboard 37GP53000-C0 PCB M/B BD P53 REV:C) it has the same motherboard like your model M5550-R3 or Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 1536. I want to upgrade like you my computer and I have dilemma. Witch bios to take Siemens Version 1.19 or Alienware bios 2.07? Also can you post link to Alienware bios 2.07? I already have HD3650 512MB, but it would be nice to take your experience before my bios update.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest 12055

I've done the 8600m GT swap with my m5550i-R3 after my go7600 burnt out (it's an awful design flaw; I don't know anybody who kept their m5550 more than 2 years who didn't burn their card up), and my Alienware is faster than it was when I purchased it. It is very easy to do if you have any computer building experience. I have pics of the important parts of the process too. The hardest part (still very easy) was downgrading the bios with a fried video card, making it very hard to see anything.

-Ross

• 1 month later...
Guest kingcuongd

I've done the 8600m GT swap with my m5550i-R3 after my go7600 burnt out (it's an awful design flaw; I don't know anybody who kept their m5550 more than 2 years who didn't burn their card up), and my Alienware is faster than it was when I purchased it. It is very easy to do if you have any computer building experience. I have pics of the important parts of the process too. The hardest part (still very easy) was downgrading the bios with a fried video card, making it very hard to see anything.

-Ross

hey would you mind showing me the pics and telling me how to do all of this. i have the same laptop and this go7600 i have sucks.

Guest kingcuongd

-Ross

plz and thank you. email is azncdang@aim.com

• 2 months later...

I just bought an ATI HD 3650 512mb for my m5500i-r3. It doesn't have screw anchors to secure the heatsink to it... has anyone else run into this? it appears the 256mb model has the same thing in the photos. How did you guys get it done?

Before assembly, make sure the GPU-Die makes PERFECT contact with the heatsink. If not, use some perfectly flat copper shim(s)

0.6mm - 1mm with thermal paste or grind the heatsink in the required spots to facilitate contact there (the coil in the upper right hand corner of the card might not match the heatsink profile).

Then assemble the card with the thermal paste-copper-thermal paste sandwich (fit the shims into the recess of the heatsink!, do not

put it on the card and then place the heatsink on top of the card!, it might not make a good match!) and place a block of foam rubber on top of the heatsink. Then put the bottom plate back on and tighten in the screws.

The pressure applied through the bottom plate and the foam rubber onto the heatsink is good enough to permanently run the laptop with this setup.

I'm typing this post on the similar Fujitsu Siemens Pi1556 and a Quadro 770M with this construction btw...

Edited by quipster