LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver download issues

mobilenvidia

I've noticed of late a few members are having issues with driver downloading.

The drivers links redirect to the driver server (from this one).

ParadiseFH has done some very good testing for us and discovered the below. :)

Firefox 3/Tab Mix Plus 0.3.7.1 breaks download urls when the "Prevent blank tabs when downloading files" option of Tab Mix Plus is set. This option is actually enabled by default and may explain quite a few "the links aren't working comments" ... not sure if you guys want to revisit how you're handling the download links (with the popup and all) but I just wanted to make you aware of what the hangup is.

Now we use the redirect to redirect drivers to the driver server but this also is used as a counter to tell us and you how popular a driver is (you will see this on the Drivers Page

What we need to know is how many folk have these issues, and does the above fix it?

I run Firefox 3 but not Tab Mix and don't have any issues.

Should we fix the way the links work or should Firefox fix the way Tab Mix works ?

Your thoughts on this are welcomed :)

Never had a problem, though I've never used Tab Mix Plus.

Firefox won't do anything about this as it is a 3rd party extension, but you can talk to the Tab Mix guys over here: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum, or email here: dev@tmp.garyr.net about preventing this from happening.

There's probably some settings for adding site exceptions somewhere I'm thinking.

Since Firefox 2 came out (we're at 3 now) there's been about 6.8 million downloads, though many of those downloads were likely by the same user and not everyone using it visits LV2GO so I don't imagine this is a widespread problem, or that most people who have it and visit this site already found a way around it.

Guest Al Bundy

As said above, Firefox crew wont do anything since it's a third party extension, anf if those guys at tab mix won't fix it,i don't think you should do anything about it either,then it's better if ppl just ignore using their extension if they wont listen to it's users.

As said above, Firefox crew wont do anything since it's a third party extension, anf if those guys at tab mix won't fix it,i don't think you should do anything about it either,then it's better if ppl just ignore using their extension if they wont listen to it's users.

So you think they're going to get a annoyed by a few people who stop using it?

How about just asking on their forums first before jumping to conclusions. The guys who made the free extension didn't even have to make it in the first place.

I agree with the above. It is either us or the users that need the change. The quickest solution is to just click with the scroll wheel instead. This will force a blank tab, which will then be left open. On our side of things we could create a non-blank landing page to redirect. Then this would require all users to click a tab closed.

It is also due to the fact the forum creates [target=_blank] anchor attributes forcing a blank page, but I see that as standard.

Firefox 3 is what explorer was to firefox 2..it sux compared to opera..

Firefox3 has a memory bug that will affect most systems, so if your computer gets slow its cuz of this known bug that has been out since first release of ver 3 and still not fixed.

So after years of using firefox i turned to opera, i gave it 1 days testing and will never go back, its just better in any way to see it from.

If you dont like it then its cuz you have only tested it for a very little time and i think you can agree on that.

It looks like once again we are treated like sheep and being herded a certain way.

Looks to be a small minority being affected right now.

I would think 3/Tab Mix Plus users will probably get used to clicking differently.

Having this post here has most certainly helped people with issues why it is happening, and work a rounds.

Firefox3 has a memory bug that will affect most systems, so if your computer gets slow its cuz of this known bug that has been out since first release of ver 3 and still not fixed.

So after years of using firefox i turned to opera, i gave it 1 days testing and will never go back, its just better in any way to see it from.

If you dont like it then its cuz you have only tested it for a very little time and i think you can agree on that.

That used to happen with firefox 2 when I was using windows xp, my CPU went up hugely after a while of using firefox. But I'm using Vista 64 now with Firefox 3 and I haven't had a problem since. I've used opera and gave it about a week and when I used firefox after that I forgot how cool all the extensions were and the GreaseMonkey scripts I could use to change the settings on webpages. I did like the bookmarks in Opera but firefox's work fine for me.

Thanks for posting this news. I actually reformatted and chose to use the mix tab plus addon. I just went ahead and removed it being that I'd rather have access to drivers over that addon. :)

Thanks for posting this news. I actually reformatted and chose to use the mix tab plus addon. I just went ahead and removed it being that I'd rather have access to drivers over that addon. :)

that's a tad extreme! after all, it is only one tick box you'd have to uncheck. i'd rather keep tabmix, thanks

/back on topic

i was wondering why i kept getting those errors

i think i circumvented them by copying the link into downthemall or something similar

however, i'm not really happy about unchecking that option in tabmix; the blank download windows that appear on the web are an annoyance and tabmix solves that with this option

unfortunately i'll be one who sides on a change of linking method web side. if that doesn't happen, at least i know why it happens and i'll just have to keep on circumventing the error one way or another

Edited by d3v