LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 set for late 2009

Dox

Windows 7 is set to be released late 2009 confirms microsoft.

Microsoft director Doug Howe showed slides in a WinHEC presentation that all but confirmed a 2009 release -- and even earlier than expected. His slides stated that Microsoft will be releasing Windows 7 mid-year, in time to be included on the machines to be sold during the holiday buying season. Mr. Howe stated, "Definitely the holiday focus is going to be on 7."

Source

Windows 7 should be a free upgrade for vista users, as it is mostly what vista was supposed to be.

Vista SP2 looks to be pretty pathetic. Microsoft screws us again.

I actually like Vista. Dunno why people complain so much.

Same here, games play better than on XP too.

Think back to when XP first came out, and I hate XP, I love 98SE

Win7 will be the same, I hate 7, Vista was much better...................................

yep sadly you could be right.....

I'll probs be on 7, once i have my desktop sometime next year :)

I wasn't complaining about how the OS works, just how it is sold and updated.

The windows 7 beta runs beautifully in my acer one aspire I couldn't be happier with the progress the folks at Redmond have accomplished. Long Live Microsoft! :)

Same here, games play better than on XP too.

u do know performance of most games is decreased by around 20% over XP right?

games are still allot slower, and require upto twice as much ram vs xp for games, just check any requirments and it says you are required to have 512MB video ram VS 256MB in XP and are required to have 3GB vs 1GB in xp..

chart1.gif

chart18.gif

chart19.gif

chart2.gif

chart3.gif

chart4.gif

chart28.gif

chart23.gif

chart33.gif

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp-vs-vista,1531-4.html

@markst: I don't see any 20%... That's just a propaganda.

Performance loss is pretty affordable for me. Plus Vista ofcourse has many advantages over XP, but that's a neverending story.

those benchmarks are on drivers over a year old.

the vista drivers has matured since then and nvidia has put more effort into them than XP as of late.

well... i did notice a slight improvement in the OS going from vista to XP in my XPS m1530. But in game performance it was hardly noticable. maybe 1fps better but depending on the game vista sometimes ran better.

On the newer system i recently purchased, vista runs better than XP. fair to say i dont have XP 64 but in vista and XP 32, vista has better performance in games, although XP is faster to load.

(in saying that some drivers are not loaded when i boot to XP)

Guest MonkeyMhz

Dunno if this is true. But i heard that Windows 7 may just be a more simplified OS for people who can handle the complexity of vista and stuff. Pretty much a windows OS to compete with the so called "easy" mac os.

I also heard that features like InstantOn that Windows7 has will just be patched to vista in the form of a service pack. Btw instanton is a feature that makes bootup time about 15 seconds to get to the desktop very fast!.

But I dunno if this is true, will Windows7 be a real full blown new os for everyone or just for the whiney mac users that want something "easy" cuz honestly right now I dont see why i would change over from Vista. Its fantastic. And for some reason i hate the windows7 task bar in that screen up there. its thick its eww. Looks like if i would be sticky if i step in it. Tbh i like the nice graphite theme in vista.