LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nvlddmkm failure w/ 8600M GS

juggs got ya

hi guys im new here and this is my last attempt to fix my problems before i just get a new gfx card. i have an hp dv9500 running a 2.2 intel duo, 2 gigs ram, and the nvidia geforce 8600M GS. ive had it for a little less than a year and a half now, and it has worked perfectly, keyword "worked". last weekend i tried installing bf2142. ive played farcry and crysis on my machine, so i knew that bf would have no issues. after installing/running the game, 30 min into a game, the program crashed and locked up the computer for about 3 min then resumed. i got the error message: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered." this happened 3 or 4 times before i tried updating the drivers etc. since its an hp card, and there were no new drivers on hps site, i tried going to omega, and some other sites that had newer drivers etc. each time, the problem grew worse, originally it would only crash about once every 40 min, but it got tot the point where it was crashing every 10. i contacted hp which told me to do a driver restore, but it made the issue worse. did a system restore, making it worse yet again. i am running my computer in safemode/ networking now, because the entire computer crashes if i open it in regular mode. when it crashes, i typically get a screenfull of lines and colors, with a square box around where the mouse is/was. sometimes i can still move the "mouse" for a while before it freezes up. sometimes the computer will restart itself sometimes ill have to do a hard reboot. ive had the blue screen of death 4 times in the last 10 days, and hp is telling me im going to have to send it in and get another 8600m gs put in it for 400$ unless it matches the recall requirements. im running vista 64bit. guys plz help me, id really appreciate it. also if you dont have any ideas on how to fix it, could you gimme a few other cards that would work w/ my computer? thanks

That's a pretty popular problem. Nvidia admitted that G86's and G84's are faulty. I don't think there's a way to repair it.