LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New Drivers and Battery Life/ Over Heating

Waveflash

Hi I am new here and I was wondering if someone could clarify a question I had about these newer drivers. (I am hoping this is the correct board, but lets not flame me if I'm wrong.)

Will using the drivers on this site have any negative effects on battery power or could they cause overheating issues? I have a Macbook Pro and I have both BootCamp and Windows Vista Ultimate x64 so that I can play games. Because of how BootCamp works my driver version is 167.63 (for a 8600M GT with 512 VRAM), which I believe to be rather dated by this site's standards. Honestly though, I can't compromise my battery and so if a newer driver will do that I'll just have to stick with what I have. If anyone could clarify that for me that would be very helpful. (Or if anyone could recommend a driver version for my system which would improve performance in games and keep my battery level constant that would also be appreciated.)

when you say compramise your battery... do you mean you dont want to to drain as fast with a new driver as it does with your current driver when not pluged in to AC?

because a new driver might drain the battery faster, but only by a couple of minutes at most.

Other than this there are no issues with bettery power.

As far as heating is concerned, a new driver may run cooler or hotter depending on the version you try. The best performing drivers so far are 180.70 and 179.14 try these and see what works best for your system

vista x64: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21655

vista x64: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21884

NOTE: to install these drivers you will need to download the driver, and download the modified inf file. extract the driver to a folder, then copy the modified inf file to that same folder. then you can run setup.exe

Ok thanks a lot, that's really helpful to know. I guess I'll go ahead and download one of those drivers now. Thanks again for the help.

when you say compramise your battery... do you mean you dont want to to drain as fast with a new driver as it does with your current driver when not pluged in to AC?

because a new driver might drain the battery faster, but only by a couple of minutes at most.

Other than this there are no issues with bettery power.

As far as heating is concerned, a new driver may run cooler or hotter depending on the version you try. The best performing drivers so far are 180.70 and 179.14 try these and see what works best for your system

vista x64: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21655

vista x64: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21884

NOTE: to install these drivers you will need to download the driver, and download the modified inf file. extract the driver to a folder, then copy the modified inf file to that same folder. then you can run setup.exe

what is modified inf? and where can i download that ? my 8600MGT win xp pro 32

a modified inf file is the driver information file. it contains information about where to install the driver, what resolution is supported and ofcourse what driver it can install. what we do here is give support by adding all mobile GPU's to that inf file so everyone can install new drivers.