LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Constant BSOD / Vista 64bit Need Help

Chad

I don't know what is going on here, but I'm constantly getting a BSOD unbearably. I even did a 7 pass DOD format (using Darik's Boot & Nuke CD which I've used a few times without issues). It took 9.5 hours to format my 200GB drive. I reinstalled Vista 64bit SP1 and all the software I had before. I can tell you know that the o/s and software I had installed prior to this BSOD are 100% identical, literally. I don't install new software often at all.

I thought now, after the format and reinstall it may be the Nvidia driver. I tried about 5 others, still getting BSOD.

I ran a memory test using Memtest86 and it showed errors (115 errors) when the test was only 25% through before I simply rebooted.

What I did notice is that safe mode never BSOD and, if I uninstall the Nvidia drivers I can run Vista in normal mode (using default 'standard vga' driver) with no BSOD problems at all.

I even replaced memory with brand new single 2GB chip, still got BSOD using Nvidia drivers. What baffles me is I've been running Nvidia drivers (dozen versions) for 13 months on this laptop with no problems.

I did notice also when the drivers are installed, and I reboot the screen has gibberish on it (indicating something is wrong with hardware).

So what do you think could be the ultimate cause here? Apparently it isn't the memory chip nor slot. If it were the graphic card you'd assume I'd get a BSOD whether or not I was running Nvidia drivers.

My Specs:

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ290

Nvidia 8400M GT

4GB Memory

Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1 w/ latest updates

To confirm: every software, os and hardware is 100% identical prior to getting any BSOD before & after the format was done. I've had this laptop for 13 months, been running Vista 64bit (and eventually offical SP1) with no problems, no recalled BSOD ever until recently.

Its very possible a faulty graphics card can run on the standard vga driver and not on the proper driver. The standard driver is basically only just good enough to use your computer, all the advanced graphics features are disabled. In terms of memory, since your RAM is coming up with errors it suggests a problem with the RAM. Computers can be a little strange sometime, it may not be the graphics card problem at all! The problem could be somewhere on the motherboard (such as a weak capacitor), the chipset (possibly due to overheating), or even the cpu itself if it has an inbuilt memory controller like the AMD chips (I presume the mobile CPU's have cpu based memory controllers as well). Only the Core i7 from Intel has an cpu based memory controller.

Hope its something simple and not a motherboard/cpu issue caused from excessive heat!

Just change the RAM first, see if you still get the issue. I had a faulty 2gb ram, just swapped it... No more BSODs

Just change the RAM first, see if you still get the issue. I had a faulty 2gb ram, just swapped it... No more BSODs

Exactly what did you not understand when I said

I even replaced memory with brand new single 2GB chip, still got BSOD using Nvidia drivers.

Exactly what did you not understand when I said

Maybe he misread? No need to be a ###### to people trying to help solve your problem.

Maybe he misread? No need to be a ###### to people trying to help solve your problem.

How ironic, cursing people out and joining the site just to post a pointless remark that doesn't even concern you? You're 17 years old, grow up and don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong. In other words also, don't say things behind your little screen you would not say to someone's face.

There is nothing 'misread' anyway.

Wow, calm down! Yea, I did read it wrong, my bad...