LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT-DDR3 or 9600M GT-DDR2

biks

hi,

I am pretty confused between HP DV5-1015TX and Dell XPS M1530

Though all the other specs is almost same in both the laptops, only the GPU seems to be the confusing part.

Can anybody please guide me which one should i go for (I dont intent to spend more if it isn't worth)

Also:

1. Is it possible to Overclock 9600M GT. I have read tht even in default it gets very warm while playing games, i wonder wat will be the results after o/c. Has anybody tried it?

2.Is it possible to install Windows XP in HP DV5-1015TX (I prefer XP rather than Vista)

Welcome to LV2G!

Nvidia has this funny system they use for they GPU's. The first number is the version of the card, where 9 is newer than 8, and the second number is the performance of the card. Though 9600M GT is newer than a 8600M GT, the 8600M GT which you mention has DDR-3 which is faster than DDR-2. So there really shouldn't be a big difference.....

Now, to answer your questions:

1: It's possible to overclock any card as far as I know. How warm it gets depends on how big your laptop is(ex. a 14" would get hotter than a 19" because the 19" has more space to let the air flow around). I know for a fact that my 8600m GT gets quite hot while gaming, I have a 14", but nonetheless my manufacturer tells me that it should be able to withstand up to 110c. (Under heavy gaming it reaches 90-99c.)

2: Indeed, even though it's made for Vista. If you feel unsafe by doing that, you could try dualbooting; It involves no risks whatsoever.

as an XPS user, i can say that it is a very good system. And believe that their heat issues are pretty much solved now. But DDR2 is not very good memory. and you will get better performance out of the 8600 GT card. You can install XP on the XPS system. i had it running.

take a look at my review of the XPS m1530

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21236

see what i found about it. Take note that as i said i 'think' the heat issue has been fixed.

I Have a MacBook Pro with the 256mb DDR3 Geforce 8600GT

I Have 4800 Points at 3DMark06

:)

as an XPS user, i can say that it is a very good system. And believe that their heat issues are pretty much solved now. But DDR2 is not very good memory. and you will get better performance out of the 8600 GT card. You can install XP on the XPS system. i had it running.

take a look at my review of the XPS m1530

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21236

see what i found about it. Take note that as i said i 'think' the heat issue has been fixed.

thanks..just been to ur review and it has made its point.. i see tht even 9600M GT-DDR2 gives almost same score as 8600M GT-DDR3(without overclocking) so no use wasting money in HP(would rather go for extended warranty or something)

Questions to all the XPS user : Is it a good idea to go for 3 yrs warranty extension or should i do tht later on? (Its adds more $250 in my Country)

Edited by biks

go for the GDDR3.

Although I will say that the 9600M GT DDR2 performs very well and I am quite happy with mine!!! Theres not a huge difference between the two.

i upgraded mine to 3 years after. and it cost me more than they said it would. do it now i recon!

How many Points do you have at 3DMark06 with the 9600 with the DDR2 Ram?

How many Points do you have at 3DMark06 with the 9600 with the DDR2 Ram?

heres the details (Windows Vista)

9600M GT GDDR2 - 4390 (1280*800)

8600M GT GDDR3 - 4408 (1280*800)

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5084/namnlscf4.jpg

Not that much of a difference, it seems. I was expecting a greater gap between the gddr2 and gddr3.

I have 4800 Points 3DMark06 with 8600GT 256mb DDR3 Ram with Windows XP....

The 9600 isn`t better than the 8600GT????

I have 4800 Points 3DMark06 with 8600GT 256mb DDR3 Ram with Windows XP....

The 9600 isn`t better than the 8600GT????

well..yea.. in XP the score's little higher..

i have got 5600 points 3DMark06 on vista with 9600m ddr3

ofcourse, its 9600GT DDR3 :)

btw how much did u got ur lappy for and hwz the gaming performance.. overheating issues and all..?

ofcourse, its 9600GT DDR3 :)

btw how much did u got ur lappy for and hwz the gaming performance.. overheating issues and all..?

after upgrading ram (it came along with 1X2G ram) i got it for 1200$ :P its indeed get overheating,around 70-75c after couple of hours gaming.

as for the game performance.. COD4\5,brother in arms,stalker SOC, running on max settings :P

assasin's creed,crysis,far cry2,stalker CS on medium settings :)

wow..thts good.. have u tried overclocking.. i guess it will easily touch 7k score after u overclock the beast.. :)

5600 Points at the 9600 DDR3 is not mutch better than my 8600GT DDR3 (4800 Points)..... I wait for the next Generation

wow..thts good.. have u tried overclocking.. i guess it will easily touch 7k score after u overclock the beast.. :)

unfortunately,the bios is totally locked-i can`t overclock the cpu from there..

as for gpu overclock-haven`t got any success with RT beyond 3D performance...

any suggestions,to tweak it? :)

5600 Points at the 9600 DDR3 is not mutch better than my 8600GT DDR3 (4800 Points)..... I wait for the next Generation

with the next generation,games will be aslo with higher requirements for that moment.. you will never get the best performance from mainstream machine on that level :)

and also your score with 8600GT DDR3 is performed on MacBook Pro :)

Edited by FilthGrinder