LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Go 7900 GS failing

Sek7or

Hi everyone,

I have a toshiba p105 s9337 laptop, it has core 2 duo t7200, 4 gigs ram (upgraded) and the go 7900 gs.

i bought the laptop in april of 07, and i no longer have teh warranty.

Something is up with my laptop now. When i turn on teh laptop i get a symmetrical pattern of dotted vertical lines all across teh lcd. It proceeds to load with red (sometimes green, it altrenates) lines afterwards then never loads, and either turns off on its own or just sits there. This is quite weird, but i thougth i have a damaged lcd or an inverter, so believe it or not i bought both. The reason why i bought them was because before i made the purcahse, i hooked the laptop to an external monitor and it was perfect at every single boot. So i scratched the video card being the culprit off teh list. I bought the lcd and inverter and put the new stuff in and its still bad, but NOW when i hook it up to an external monitor the lines actually show up now. So its my video card i presume from all teh research ive made. I am looking for a 7900gs but all the ones that r offered on ebay or elsewhere come from dell laptops. Can those work with my toshiba? Is my card even replaceable? Please tell me it is... :) I want to save my baby and im really upset about this.

Thank u all for reading in advance.

anything u say is appreciated.

Sek.

weird... you are saying that this "lines" appears during BIOS as well? or only in Windows loading screen. but obviously, if it crashs or shuts down when you try to boot it up, there is probably problems with the video card, cpu or ram. use the original ram and see what happens.

Morris Lee

Hey thanks for replying,

you can still see the those lines in bios as well, but they r not very prominent at all, because the background color of the bios is very light.

i tried what u told me, switching back to original ram, that didnt do anything. its not in the ram or the cpu, im sure of it.

i can boot into safe mode just fine and the image is fine, u jsut cant do a whole lot of anything in safe mode.

i still couldnt find a go 7900 gs from another p105 toshiba. does it have to be from a p105 toshiba? can i use any go 7900 gs? like the ones from dell? if i cant find the go 7900 gs, can i even get like a 8600m gt instead, will it fit or work? or something.

thanks for replies

I think Dell is proprietary and works only on Dell based systems.

well my video card isnt entirely dead, its damaged but not dead.

so i went to safe mode to uninstall teh video card driver, the best one that works with my laptop and has the fan on all the time is the 171.16 driver, rest just dont do it for me for some reason.

so i removed teh driver, and booted into windows just fine with standard vga driver. the lines r gone, my music works, files r still tehre.

im puzzled as to how my video card got damaged in teh first place, its so damn frustrating! why not the ram or hard drive! how is this damage acquired in teh first place?

and is my video card working right now? cuz laptop is on with standard vga, i would be thinking yes right? since its displaying some picture?

i havent been able to get in touch with toshiba for the part yet because its the weekend. they r taking a break from their "superb" customer service.

and finally is my card replaceable on this p105 s9337??

thanks for the input.

Edited by Sek7or

First and hopefully, last, please watch your typing more carefully, it is spelled as "the" not "teh"

yes, your video card is not "dead" per se, but you are currently running on so called a "standard VGA" which does not take advantage of the actual processing core, this is only using the VGA out on your card and render using CPU.

SO, if you no longer game, you can stay as where you are at, but for gaming, you have to get the driver installed, since the driver will "drive" the GPU to render your desktop, yet the GPU is now "dying" thus showing "artifacts"

there is no other choice other then replacing the video card. However, if I may suggest, SOME laptops comes with build-in graphics, you maybe able to take out the 7900 and run off the on board card. still, you won't be able to game.

Morris Lee

First and hopefully, last, please watch your typing more carefully, it is spelled as "the" not "teh"

yes, your video card is not "dead" per se, but you are currently running on so called a "standard VGA" which does not take advantage of the actual processing core, this is only using the VGA out on your card and render using CPU.

SO, if you no longer game, you can stay as where you are at, but for gaming, you have to get the driver installed, since the driver will "drive" the GPU to render your desktop, yet the GPU is now "dying" thus showing "artifacts"

there is no other choice other then replacing the video card. However, if I may suggest, SOME laptops comes with build-in graphics, you maybe able to take out the 7900 and run off the on board card. still, you won't be able to game.

Morris Lee

thanks for replying,

i dont think teh forum members care about teh grammar here, neither do i.

so ur saying my card is in fact removable? on this specific toshiba model? (p105 s9337)

thanks for replying,

i dont think teh forum members care about teh grammar here, neither do i.

so ur saying my card is in fact removable? on this specific toshiba model? (p105 s9337)

1) Boot windows in safe mode. If the problem doesn't show up their than its not a hardware problem. At least not a GPU issue.

2) You can contact toshiba and see how much repair for the gpu would cost or if they can ship you a new one

3) If the problem is still their than its GPU problem. Now the 7900GS might be a MXM but i don't think it is.

so in order for the video card to be replaced, it has to be MXM? the video card itself is a pci e interface, i thought u could take those off.

Principally yes except there has been proprietary modular cards earlier - for example my Acer 1714 had replaceable card about 4 years ago ranging from go5200 to go5700.

Principally yes except there has been proprietary modular cards earlier - for example my Acer 1714 had replaceable card about 4 years ago ranging from go5200 to go5700.

oh man so ur saying toshiba wont be able to replace my card but just replace my entire board? that will cost soo much..

damnit this is soo bad for me.

ill call them today and see what they tell me.

thanks

They had pretty much problems with go7900 GS on Mxm Upgrade and stopped to deliver them but probably it has nothing to do with mobo installed chips.

Ok so i just got off the phone with toshiba, and they have said the part (graphics card) is $425. I gave them my model number and everything. So this part will be 100% compatible with my laptop i presume. So if that's the case it appears my card is replaceable after all?

Ok so i just got off the phone with toshiba, and they have said the part (graphics card) is $425. I gave them my model number and everything. So this part will be 100% compatible with my laptop i presume. So if that's the case it appears my card is replaceable after all?

$425? holy s***... Sounds more like a board than just the card but it could be a MXM that wasn't confirmed.

$425? holy s***... Sounds more like a board than just the card but it could be a MXM that wasn't confirmed.

Hi, yea i know its ridiculous. About the price being like that, i read a forum elsewhere, dont remember where exactly, but the guy had a dell with a 7900 gs and he ordered the part from them for $505 or so. I really hope its not a board because im not ready for something like that, because im planning to put this in myself.

is it easy to install? ive never done anything like this, but i have taken my laptop apart and have put it back together in success.

please tell me ur recommendations, and will i need thermal paste?

Ok, im quite confused now.

My laptop has been able to turn without any lines whatsoever, and sometimes there are lines which result in no boot at all.

I took my laptop apart until the core motherboard, i took teh video card off and blew the dust off with the air duster, in the fans, underneath heatsink, everywhere.

Again sometimes it boots fine and sometime it doesnt. Guys if you could please answer asap because im leaving the country in the morning and i wont be able to see any feedback unless i go to an internet cafe back in europe. I really appreciate eveerything u tell me.

Now, could it be a virus? i havent had a reformat and fresh install of vista since i bought it back in april 07. There was absolutely no defects to my naked eye on teh video card.

I can watch movies just fine, i am downloading things and stuff. The laptop is somewhat fully functional i guess. I ran a Cs:s video stress test and went by fine, and 3dmark05 and 3dmark06. Those passed. It crashes during gaming, reboots and starts giving lines. Then im back to restarting it a few times until i get rid of the vertical lines, and when it does boot the fan stops working, making the gpu temp 99C+. I quickly install my trusty 171.16 driver and its fine (other drivers dont work).

Why is my laptop bipolar like this? is it still the gpu?

Thank you guys!

Hey im back, just a thought, do you think underclocking/overclocking either or core and mem can do something??

Thanks