LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9500mGS cooling in AW m5500 (259en3)

Guest Cadet

Hey all,

I purchased an 8600gt card off ebay, which my m5500 is recognizing as a 9500gs (I don't really care, it's the same chip). Everything works great, only problem is that I have been monitoring the temperatures and the card idles between 64-69C and has maxed out at 96C when gaming. I haven't had any shutdowns or anything, but I worry a little bit about longevity at those temperatures.

From what I have been reading people have been having similar high temperatures with these cards (8600gt or 9500gs) but I haven't read if anyone has come up with a solution. I'm still using the old blue heatpads that came with the computer 3 years ago, would buying a new set from IceTea be at all useful.

I have also read about (with other computers and gpu's) people exchanging the heat pads with thin sheets of copper to bridge the gap between the core and the heatsink and using thermal paste. There is definitely still a gap to be filled between the gpu and the heatsink, so I can't just take out the pads and throw as5 or something in there on its own.

If anyone has dealt with these same issues and has advice I'd appreciate it a lot.

i may be able to offer some advice. my old (well not that old) XPS 1530 had quite a few heat issues. I changed the thermal paste to silver 5 and it took the temp down 3-4 degress when gaming. i have also heard about using aluminium sheet and paste to put in between like a sandwich with the paste being bread to the aluminium meat. Have heard this working a treat. may want to look into that or even give it a go. pressure and paste i think is the issue there.

mid 90's should be ok. i mean its not ideal as we all want out laptops to run colder than what they do. but was its an individual chip and not on board the temp can run a little higher.

• 4 weeks later...

An update, I replaced the heatpad with a piece of copper and as5 and have gotten the temperatures down a lot, I think the max i got (albeit with a little lower ambient temperature) was 71C, much better than the 96C before.

An update, I replaced the heatpad with a piece of copper and as5 and have gotten the temperatures down a lot, I think the max i got (albeit with a little lower ambient temperature) was 71C, much better than the 96C before.

Thx a lot for letting us know your experience. I've been reading a lot about the copper sheet mod, too, and wanted to give it a go in the exact same model. Did u leave the pads on the ram and only applied the cooper to the core, right? What thickness did u use? Is 0.6 mm good?

cheers....

Thx a lot for letting us know your experience. I've been reading a lot about the copper sheet mod, too, and wanted to give it a go in the exact same model. Did u leave the pads on the ram and only applied the cooper to the core, right? What thickness did u use? Is 0.6 mm good?

cheers....

Have you already done some benchmarks, too? I'm thinking about upgrading the 6600 go to sth.

like 8600m /9600m gs or gt maybe 3650 mobility...

Unfortunately I'm back at school now and I don't remember exactly how thick it was, I'm tempted to say .025in (it was all I was able to easily get so it worked nicely). I did just leave the normal pads on the ram, it's the core temps you are trying to control anyway, RAM chips are meant to work at pretty high temperatures.

3dMark06 returns just over 3100. One thing I have noticed playing newer games like CoD:WaW is that the processor seems to start o be a bottleneck, its consistently running at 100% load during those games, thus I am considering trying to get a little faster Pentium M processor off ebay. That said, it plays those new games very nicely, im running WaW at 1280x800 with high texture settings and some of the various eye candy turned on. Although the built in fps display doesnt seem to work and I haven't gotten around to using fraps with it yet, I never notice any slowdowns even during big firefights and whatnot. It runs Half Life 2 at max settings, with moderate af and aa enabled, smooth as butter. All in all I am very pleased, just going to consider making that investment in the higher processor.

One thing i forgot to mention, it will still idle around 60C but instead of before when the fan would be on all the time the fan will only come on occupationally now. I got a zalman laptop cooler as well and it seems to succeed in making the fan turn on a lot less, even under load, the temperatures do seem to stay the same though, maxing out in the low 70's.

0.25 inches = 0.6 mm is probably the right thickness, read this too as a recommendation for replacing the heatpads.

Which processor are u running currently btw?

With your low temps on the GPU u should consider a Pinmod.

A 770 or even 780 is still very pricey these days, so I lately opted to pinmod a 735 as a replacement for my 750 1.86MHz

and it runs prime- and gamestable in Bios high-performance mode 2380 Mhz@1.324V and 840@0.7V.

Can't complain about the extra boost :) , especially in Multiplayershooters like FEAR or the like.

Temps get a lilttle higher than before, but way within normal range. (I use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro as thermal compund)

For example 2hrs gaming FEAR GPU 88°C max., CPU round 65°C. (checked with ATI Tool log and MobileMeter)

With the 750 I would have had like 86°C on GPU and round 56-57-ish °C on the CPU.

Fan is spinning one or two steps higher, but I don't really care bout that.

U can't almost figure out the difference, and there is still a lot of headroom for the CPU temperature.

Btw if you really want to stress the hell out of your GPU, check out FurMark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Can't run the 2380 Mhz in this benchmark scenario for longer than 5 minutes, as GPU temps hit 93°C soon and the Geforce 6600 starts throtteling.

So I'll defintely try the copper mod to bring the max. GPU temp down a bit. Low 70s sound awesome, wonder which temps u get on Furmark.

Cheers

Quick update here. Decided to do the little cooling mod just for a trial run. For lack of better equipment I took a 1mm aluminium sheet (I'm sure it wasn't really perfectly flat) and some white no name thermal goo.

Also I didn't care to clean the GPU-Die or any other of the surfaces involved with alcohol.

Nevertheless I got a substantial 8-10°C drop in max. temperature.

FEAR 1h max 80°C. Idle temps 58-64° GPU then CPU reaches 55° and fan kicks in like every ten minutes for a minute.

On the onboard Intel GFx-card CPU idles at around 45° no fan at all.

So even doing the job shoddily as I did yields way better results than the crappy blue thermal pad.

Now I'm trying to get my hands on a decent MXM-II card, swap it with the 6600 go and redo the makeshift of course with proper stuff. What do you think, would an ATI Mobility 3650 work, or should I stick with 8600m /9600m GT?

cheers