LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HELP! laptop keeps shutting down

axis09

2 days ago my laptop started to shut down after 20mins of gaming(only when i'm gaming) i had made no changes to it in over a week

so i opened it up cleaned out all the dust and arrghhh still shutting down

so i tried 4 different drivers all the way back to the start of the year 17*...s..........still shutting down

have been monitoring all temps with speedfan and rivatuner and everythings normal (even under GTA4 the temps are good)

but it still shuts down after 20mins, just bang and the pc is dead

i'm at my wits end now after 2 days trying to work this out

anyone got any suggestions

oh i have a go7900gtx an x2 3800 and 1 gig of ram and XP SP3

thanks

Do you get any message box before the shutdowns? Do you see the windows shutting down screen or does it just shutdown like if you unplugged it from the power source? Might be a virus or some malware, or faulty PSU or power strip. Try plugging it directly to wall power socket or play on battery.

If possible do a full backup of HDD then format and clean install OS + drivers to make sure whether it's software or hardware issue.

Do you get any message box before the shutdowns? Do you see the windows shutting down screen or does it just shutdown like if you unplugged it from the power source? Might be a virus or some malware, or faulty PSU or power strip. Try plugging it directly to wall power socket or play on battery.

If possible do a full backup of HDD then format and clean install OS + drivers to make sure whether it's software or hardware issue.

no message just shuts down, its so strange as its just like it is overheating cause after it shuts down it might shutdown a few times on bootup till i leave it to cool down

i just dont get it, the temps are fine never above 53 under full gaming load, and it will shut down below 48 some times,

i have tried with the battery removed and the same thing

you think maybe my temps are wrong and the graphics card is overheating? though i cleaned it out, and why would this all of a sudden start doing this

and like i said i checked for viruses and malware and its clean

i have tried with the battery removed and the same thing

Nono! I meant to try it on battery and unplugged from power source (we are to check if your AC adapter and power strip, if you have one, are alright, so that's why we want to know if it works on battery).

53 degrees is a very fine temp so it can't be overheating. So I'm suspecting either power supply unit or GPU memory to be faulty. Or AC adapter/power strip, we will know after you check it on battery.

I'd believe those temperatures if you keep your lappie in a fridge - my all laptops have been between 55 and 60 in windows use and 70 - 90 in 3D gaming. Check your all temperatures with RivaTuner or Speedfan.

I'd believe those temperatures if you keep your lappie in a fridge - my all laptops have been between 55 and 60 in windows use and 70 - 90 in 3D gaming. Check your all temperatures with RivaTuner or Speedfan.

well funny you should say that this just gets weirder and weirder, i do use rivatuner cause speedfan wont read the temps for my gpu which is strange,

and now that i have installed the default drivers rivatuner is reading minus 150...WTF is going on , is my card broken or what, but it cant be i get no artifacts it will run a game for 20 mins

the reason i installed the default drivers is cause i was out came back after an hour cold booted my pc the graphics card fan came on immediately at full speed, then my pc crashed after 5 or so minutes and the card wasnt even warm

i am trying running on battery at the moment see if that makes a difference,

its like my graphics card has gone insane, it will run too hot when i'm in safe mode...lol...its just behaving crazy mad

i know its something to do with the card cause the pc will only crash when the fan is at full speed, whether the card is hot or cold makes no difference, once the fan ramps up my pc crashes

oh and my cpu temps are around 51 using speedfan