LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HP 8730w to 8800m GTX

quasi51

Looking for some upgrade help here...

I have an HP 8730w. My particular model comes stock with a Ati/AMD FireGL 5725 (3650) 256MB. The machine can be configured up to the flagship Nvidia mobile Quadro. I picked up a 8800m GTX which was designed for a Clevo D900C laptop. When I install it the machine powers, fans spin, etc but I get nothing on the screen. Is this a BIOS compability problem? Can I blind flash it to some kind of generic Nvidia BIOS?

What other information would you need to provide advice?

Any/All suggestions welcome!

Thanks

No idea but I fear HP does its own tricks with bioses - at least my 8710w bios isn't readable by ordinary means.

Zipper, could I trouble you to try the newest version of Nbitor? They just released a new version today.

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=co...;filecatid=2944

I'm interested in the bios from your FX 1600M. I realize that it is a significantly different card than the 8800m but I wonder if there are flags that identify it to the HP system BIOS that would be common.

Maybe I'm looking at this all the wrong way. I'm tempted to call HP and ask if the BIOS restricts which video cards can be used but I expect I would get a stock "we only support official cards" answer.

If I can't get anywhere with this I'll have to sell the card. That would be too bad...3 year warranty with Squaretrade and all!

Thanks for the help,

Quaz

Zipper, could I trouble you to try the newest version of Nbitor? They just released a new version today.

Same situation, data position/length out of bounds error.