LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Could use some advice/help

tritonman1

I have a Dell XPS M1710 laptop with the Geforce Go 7950GTX, 4gb ram, Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

When i install the most recent Nvidia drivers running Vista Ultimate 32 bit - Nvidia Forceware 175.32 upon a reboot the laptop screen goes black and the video is redirected to an external source so i have to hook up a secondary monitor to get video. When i try to switch the video back to the laptop as the primary..there is no option to do so, its as if the laptop doesnt exist.

I tried the Windows update version of the driver, the Dell version of the driver and all yield the same result.

Sooo..i install Xp and use the latest version of the XP driver and everything worked like a champ.

Installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit and tried the Windows update version of the Nvidia driver and got the same black screen.

Basically i was wondering if there are any driver recommendations here that i can try to see if the issue will be fixed, or if anyone has any advice or tips to fix this problem?

Here is something to try. With the driver your having trouble with installed.. use your external monitor and go to the Nvidia Control Panel. (right click desktop, choose control panel) now check your multiple displays settings. Does laptop display show up? If not try clicking "My display is not in the list" and click "Rigorous display detection" This may only be to detect external monitors but worth a shot. It just seems it set to single monitor and external.

Here is something to try. With the driver your having trouble with installed.. use your external monitor and go to the Nvidia Control Panel. (right click desktop, choose control panel) now check your multiple displays settings. Does laptop display show up? If not try clicking "My display is not in the list" and click "Rigorous display detection" This may only be to detect external monitors but worth a shot. It just seems it set to single monitor and external.

I tried the above suggestion :) When i go into the nvidia control panel its only showing Single Display option which is the external monitor. Using the drop down bar there are no additional display devices...as suggested above i also tried the rigorous detection which nothing came up.

It is indeed setting it to single display mode with no other option to set it back to the Laptop as the primary. What is odd though...if you go into display settings it does see the laptop monitor as "2" with the ability to "Extend my desktop", if I choose this option nothing happens and it reverts back to the above issues. Also the resolution choices with the laptop monitor in this mode are limited to 800x600, its like the video driver is just gone for the laptop.

ok this is strange indeed. When in display settings you say it shows your laptop monitor as 2.. confirm this by clicking the "Identify Monitors" button. If they are switched your external monitor should show the big 1 on screen for a few seconds. If this is the case select your laptop monitor in the drop down menu and select extend desktop.. this should allow you to now pick the "this is my main monitor" box. If that doesn't fix it I'm out of things to try.