LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Gateway M-6862- GPU help!

anassa

Yo guys!

So I have a Gateway M-6862, I thought I had gotten a good deal ($500) because it has a PM965 chipset, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (Or so I though.. turned out to be a normal HD 2600- which is probably the source of the problem) 4G RAM, 250GB HDD, etc...

CPU wise I will probably go with a T9300 eventually.. but now for the GPU, its kinda disappointing, I like to play Left 4 Dead, and it doesn't play it as well as it should, among other games, so does anyone have any experience with these laptops and what kind of GPU's I can throw in there? Currently I have three choices:

1. Keep the same GPU and overclock it to 2600XT speeds or higher.

2. Swap out the GPU for 3650 or if possible a 9650 GT would be cool, or any other decent DX10+ card that is recommended and will work. Or does anyone know of a DX10 GPU with a mem bus of 256 bit that would work?

3. Third, if possible, swap in a 7900gs or x1800 or some of the DX9c cards that where good, then I would probably also reinstall with XP pro. If possible I would really like this option, I like XP pro more and I know a lot more of what the DX 9c GPU's can do game wise.

Any info would be very nice!

Last question, does anyone know if I can swap the screen for a better one? The stock/current screen is really s***ty, while playing L4D, a lot of the dark places its hard to see because it's not bright enough or have enough contrast, so if I could swap the screen for a higher res, better screen it would help a lot more then any GPU upgrade would do.

Even if all you can do is point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

I would go for the DX10 card option, I have a 9600M GT which isn't as good as the 9650M GT and I can play L4D maxed, Assasins Creed Maxed and Crysis on Medium High settings. Going for a 7900GS is a good option but they are normally used in big 17 inch laptops, because a lot of heat arises from those. ( if u have a 17 inch, no problem there).

Performance wise I think a HD3650 would be good for L4D, and DX10 cards can play on DX9 neway. I would suggest you do some more research into each card, one thing is certain, Do not go for option 1 !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rageagainst

whoa :) i just bought the same laptop, sent in a complaint to buy.com's customer service, but i had no idea it was mxm compatible, how can i check if its truly mxm compatible, and what kindof cards can i buy for it? O.o i might keep it if i can upgrade it later.