LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help - Nvidia 8400M GS Overheating

david999

Hey i've got a 8400m GS and i'm using driver 178.24 and I have no fan control with my GPU temp reaching 90 requently whilst on idle.

It just suddenly blacks out with no indication and I have to turn it back on.

ANY help would be appreciated significantly!

Thanks

Edited by david999

Hey i've got a 8400m GS and i'm using driver 178.24 and I have no fan control with my GPU temp reaching 90 requently whilst on idle.

Thanks

1. Change driver

2. Clean the dust in radiator and fan

3. When you got 90 on idle then maybe your gpu is broken, 8400 and 8600 has problems with that

4. check your cpu temp, maybe its too hot either and affect your gpu temp but for me this is not that kind of problem

5. if you cant do anything try to get replace gpu from your warranty or maybe get a laptop cooler (like zalman nc)

6. ..but for me the 90deg on idle isnt normal!!

GOOD LUCK

do the steps above, but buddy, 90c on GAMING isnt good, idle, thats terrible. if the steps above dont work you should get your gpu/mobo replaced, contact your laptop manufacturer. tell them exactly whats going on, temps your getting in game and idle, they should replace for free, like dell did for me, 3x. lol

good luck!

I have an 8600m GS and it goes 55c idle and up to 70c gaming, so yeah you should definitely get you laptop OEM to replace it. And yes, g84/g86 have that issue. Sad, since I spent so much on it before reading.

Some mild chores for you to try out first might solve your problem, as recommended above. Drivers, maintenance, and stuff like that. Check GPUz to see if you have fan speed control. If not, try updating to the latest BIOS for your system, as that might fix it.

On a side note, HP had released a BIOS update for similarly affected laptops that would turn on the fan sooner so as to avoid overheating. Some believe, however, that it's a quick fix meant to delay the inevitable failure of the GPU. Hopefully past warranty. :)

I have an 8600m GS and it goes 55c idle and up to 70c gaming, so yeah you should definitely get you laptop OEM to replace it. And yes, g84/g86 have that issue. Sad, since I spent so much on it before reading.

Some mild chores for you to try out first might solve your problem, as recommended above. Drivers, maintenance, and stuff like that. Check GPUz to see if you have fan speed control. If not, try updating to the latest BIOS for your system, as that might fix it.

On a side note, HP had released a BIOS update for similarly affected laptops that would turn on the fan sooner so as to avoid overheating. Some believe, however, that it's a quick fix meant to delay the inevitable failure of the GPU. Hopefully past warranty. :)

I can't find a newer bios as samsung/pheonix are rubbish and make me download and pay for a scanner to check what updates there is.

And can I get that HP bios even though i've got a samsung?

I can't find a newer bios as samsung/pheonix are rubbish and make me download and pay for a scanner to check what updates there is.

And can I get that HP bios even though i've got a samsung?

HP bios on samsung will not work. dont mess with bios from other manufacturer if you arent an experienced user in that kind of stuff.

On my 8600m gt i have 83-85C max when im gaming and im not happy with that. 90 on idle its a great reason to get your warranty replace. dont even waste your time solving that problem on your own (like i was trying for many months) and go for new gpu!!

90c idle? its dead withiin a months time, open it up and im sure the gpu and sink has a gap

90c idle? its dead withiin a months time, open it up and im sure the gpu and sink has a gap

what could i do if this is the case?

Something into the gap that conducts heat - pads, arctic silver, copper etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

My GPU idles at around 55, sometimes lower. With my laptop, I use HP Recommended power settings. It's odd, but I think that it's much better tailored for my system. For instance, if I use Power Saver and then load up something graphical the GPU speeds up (due to PowerMizer) but the fan doesn't run as it's supposed to. I think Power Saver cuts back on fan usage as well. So my GPU soars to 75 just running the RTHDRIBL demo, and when I exit it still hovers at 65c for the longest time. I then switch to HP Recommended and then the fan starts spinning up. Then faster. And finally my GPU comes down to where it should be, 55c.

edit: I'm using the latest WHQL laptop drivers from nVidia, 179.28. It seems a bit more like an INF modded version of their normal series, as System Information now shows GPU shaders and memory information.

Edited by Doogie Houser MD