LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT Temperature

LLW_89

My system goes to Max 93'c-95'c when I playing game OC (650/500) observed the temperature during playing games is around 88-90 in stable. So it wont stay at the Max temp. for 5 sec I guess.

I was using the EVGA TOOL to observe the temperature of previous 3 min...

I am using CoolerMaster of cooling pad and thermal paste (NANO). In addition, I have a real fan blowing towards my laptop. Therefore, I worry whether my GPU will last for how long..

I have nothing to blame because I live in Malaysia. (Having "summer" for the whole year)

The question is can my GPU last for 5 years ? but I just playing games at average 1.5 hours or may be less per day. But luckly my CPU never reach above 80'c.

**Where to download a software that can show GPU temperature for previous 10 min and above ?

Edited by LLW_89

You can also watch the GPU temps with Rivatuner (and change the time between 2 samples if needed)

I can't tell you if he'll last 5 years cause it is all depending on too much other parts, he can break in less than 1 and can also last longer than 5 ...

But Nvidia has made some bugs related to the cooling system in the first G84 and G86 so the gpu might be the first part of your computer to break

Another usefull thing to do is to clean the internal ventilation system, cause there can be a lot of dust in there which can make your computer make more heat and prevent the internal ventilation system to work correctly

that is normal temperature, same as my temperature when I had my 8600m gt, only problem is that 8600m gt's chip material is not very good at handling heat, as for some new drivers "dowclocks" the video card to protect the card from heating up too much as a result of "slow down" in games. this is why i switched to HD3650, but HD3650 gets hotter then 8600m GT under same cooling system. it gets up to 120 degrees c, so I did some downvolting, to get it to run at 103c, all running good now with like hours and hours of gaming with just stock cooling at max of 103 c.

Since 8600 can't handle heat, I think it won't last too long, I give it maybe 3-4 years maybe, if you have the driver that downclocks for you, might give you 5 years. if you want it to just "work" without any unstable performance, downclock the card.

that is normal temperature, same as my temperature when I had my 8600m gt, only problem is that 8600m gt's chip material is not very good at handling heat, as for some new drivers "dowclocks" the video card to protect the card from heating up too much as a result of "slow down" in games. this is why i switched to HD3650, but HD3650 gets hotter then 8600m GT under same cooling system. it gets up to 120 degrees c, so I did some downvolting, to get it to run at 103c, all running good now with like hours and hours of gaming with just stock cooling at max of 103 c.

Since 8600 can't handle heat, I think it won't last too long, I give it maybe 3-4 years maybe, if you have the driver that downclocks for you, might give you 5 years. if you want it to just "work" without any unstable performance, downclock the card.

Only some 8600M GT's were badly manufactured (though quite widespread). Not all are affected.

Yes, Morris, you should stop saying that all 8600Ms are faulty please.

It isn't that some can't handle too much heat, it's that they MAYBE can't handle too much heat cycling.

Some have BIOS updates to decrease the min\max temp difference by increasing the fan speed, just in case.

Yes, Morris, you should stop saying that all 8600Ms are faulty please.

It isn't that some can't handle too much heat, it's that they MAYBE can't handle too much heat cycling.

Some have BIOS updates to decrease the min\max temp difference by increasing the fan speed, just in case.

Indeed, Dell released a Bios update for all of their laptops with the faulty ones, and my Dell 1520 didn't get any updates :)

What games aare you playing? I almost never overclock and newer driver updates fix my need to overclock over time.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I'm sorry for necromancing (bringing up old posts), but I wanted share my experience with heat problems on 8600M gfx of compal based laptop.

I'm using this laptop mostly for gaming (Battlefield Heroes ect). A few moths ago it started to running very hot and fans running at max speed. Once it started to do the hard shutoffs, I installed Speedfan application to monitor temperatures. In idle temperatures of gfx were around 75-80C, in load (gaming) it was @ 94-96C and after 10 minutes came hard shutoff. I didn't open the laptop for cleaning because it was in last 2 month under 2 year warranty, also I didn't wanted to return the laptop for warranty repairs immediately, because I knew from experience that this service company would have done just some cleaning to postpone gfx breakage after expiry of warranty period. I suspected that those high temperatures have already caused damages to gfx card and shortened its life,so I kept using laptop. Finally after a week browsing only internet, my gfx card finally died. I blowed some compressed air throug vent holes to get off loose dust and took laptop to warranty repairs. Company exchanged the burned gfx card under warranty and it is working now nicely: 48-52C in idle and around 76C in gaming.

Laptops are not very good for hard gaming. If you like playing, get cooling pad or raise the laptop off the table to allow more air for cooling.

If your laptop GFX card has worked under high temperature conditions - their life is shortened considerably.

Remember, if your laptop is internally dusty - temperatures will raise - fans will vent more - more dust comes in - temperature raises ect ect, clean it periodically.