LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrade 6950G from ATI Mobility 3650 to GeForce

Diellur

I recently purchased an Acer 6950G which has an onboard ATI Mobility 3650 graphics chip. This is fine for most games I play, but I was wondering how easy (or possible) it was to upgrade the graphics card from this to a more powerful GeForce card.

I'm fine when it comes to upgrading desktops, but laptops is a new world to me, so I defer to those with more experience in order to not wreck my new toy.

Thanks in advance,

D.

Well, it all depends on:

1. Gut to open the case and risk everything from ur warranty to ur laptop.

2. Ur laptop compatibility with mxm and its type ( which in ur case, ur laptop is compatible but u need to find out the type first.)

3. The availability of a more powerful card ( in ur case u might want to take a look at mxm type 3 but im not sure if ur laptop supports it.)

4. The bios of the card ( bios from same brand such as ACER save a lot of time, questions and sweats.)

5. Cooling options for ur laptop ( U laptop might not have sufficient cooling mechanism, need to invest in custom laptop cooler or better thermal paste etc.)

6. Money to buy a new card and not to regret if everything failed. :)

If u can prepare for all of the above (especially no 6 :) ), then upgrading the card is as easy as pie.

P.S: If u could find a better alternative to ur current card, mind selling ur old card to me? :P