LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 9600m GT in a FSC Xi 1546 (Alienware m5750)

SirKhan

Hey guys,

I have a Fujitsu Xi 1546 and I had a topic about trying to cool it down because my Ati X1800 in it broke (like 90% other X1800s....) well the only solution was for me to change the vidcard to a new one. Bios version 1.15 original FSC (because of the better fan control) I tried the 8600Gt, no luck, now I have a 8600GS in it works perfectly.

I also had the chance to try a 9600gt but the laptop wouldn't start.

Beep beep when switched on most of the leds were on. Is there a possibility that with other BIOS it would work? BTW With this GS card installed I can't upgrade my BIOS because it says "this bios is not for this model" :) I know I would have to change back to the Ati and to the bios change but I have it installed so good that I don't want to screw up the heating by opening up just for a bios change. (I installed the GS _after_ I tried the 9600gt and I only consider switching to that new card if it works 100% with some bios or anything else).

Thanks

Mark

I have a 9600gt 512mb ddr3 runing in this notebook. Problem is that this card seems to be an "engeneering" sample. And it only works in the moderate power saving mode. Which is not the full potential of the card. I believe I just need the right vbios for the card. But so far i tried a gazillion vbios`s and I just cannot get ANY othter vbios to work with this card.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I have an acer made 9600mGT 512 DDR3 and it works like a charm on my amilo Pi1556.

The only problem is that the card runs hot on 3D games (95° and more). With a notepad cooler it should be better.

And I have a little error when the computer boots up: I have a 30s countdown with loud beep every second.

This is my vbios.

And a pic of the card. It has quimonda DDR3 1.1ns

G96M_VG.9PG06.006_acer.bin

post-35614-1232823360_thumb.jpg

Has anyone with an Amilo Xi 1546 tried to install AW 5550 bios 2.06 ?

I don't know if its possible to install it on a P72, since its intended for Pi 1536/1556/ AW 5550 but who knows 9600M GT might work with this bios.

Eugene2878 @ Dec 9 2008, 10:59 AM

Upgrade with alienware 1.19 bios for 4gb ram http://aliendl.alienware.com/Mobile/m5750/...0_Bios1.19W.zip . Remove any existing bios passwords before upgrade. 1.19 and 2.06, 2.07 bioses are compatible with hd 3650. 2.06 is compatible with 8600m gs and gt.(2.07 is not) 1.19 bios gives you possibility to install 4gb ram.

Edited by myron

Has anyone with an Amilo Xi 1546 tried to install AW 5550 bios 2.06 ?

I don't know if its possible to install it on a P72, since its intended for Pi 1536/1556/ AW 5550 but who knows 9600M GT might work with this bios.

I'm running xi1546 2.06 bios with 8600gt 2 gig ram as 4 gig can't work with 512mb video card. No problems whatsoever

Edited by facey

I'm running xi1546 2.06 bios with 8600gt 2 gig ram as 4 gig can't work with 512mb video card. No problems whatsoever

Do you have any issues with this card? (cold boot issue - 30sec beeping, overheating, gaming issues, etc). DDR2, but faster than the x1800?

I know that bios this bios doesn't support 2x2GB Ram, but does it support T7400 ?

I'm trying to figure out what's the best gaming solution for this laptop. ( Non-Ati hopefully, and besides throwing it away :) )

9600M GT looked like the best solution but I haven't heared anyone to have it working without any major issue. Maybe, 9500M GS upgrade might be possible which most people claim is 5-10% more efficient than 8600M GT ddr2.

Edited by myron

Do you have any issues with this card? (cold boot issue - 30sec beeping, overheating, gaming issues, etc). DDR2, but faster than the x1800?

I know that bios this bios doesn't support 2x2GB Ram, but does it support T7400 ?

I'm trying to figure out what's the best gaming solution for this laptop. ( Non-Ati hopefully, and besides throwing it away :) )

9600M GT looked like the best solution but I haven't heared anyone to have it working without any major issue. Maybe, 9500M GS upgrade might be possible which most people claim is 5-10% more efficient than 8600M GT ddr2.

I have no issues at all. My xi1546 has t7200, i did have the ati 3650 256mb ddr3 as well which is a far better card than the 8600gt 512mb ddr2 but the ati card had start up issues. I would love to give the 9600 a go but cash flow is preventing that at the moment

I was able to test my friend's genuine Acer 9600m GS(!) in the laptop, before POST there was the 30secs beep then it was fine except the MHz switching would not work. You have to edit the BIOS manually and that is only possible with the new 4.8 nibitor, but can be done. Cheers!

I can't find nibitor 4.8 anywhere on the net yet. Where did you find it ?