LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 5920G - Graphic Card Upgrade

todd_aved

Hey folks :)

I got my laptop 1.5 years ago, I have upgraded my ram to crucial 4GB, HDD to seagate 250GB at 7400rpm, the last thing I need to get this thing as upgraded as possible is a graphic card (Current 8600m GT ddr2 256M). According to the research I've done regarding compatibility of my chipset which is an Express Intel 965PM, it seems like it does support graphics cards with MXM type II interface. so the thing I really need help with is to figure out whether or not my laptop's graphics is upgradable. If so, what is the most powerful graphic card on the market at the moment.

I'd highly appreciate if anyone would share their experience with the same system specs (chipset in particular) preferably Acer as far as bios configuration seems to be decisive in this case. I would love to hear any suggestion from you people out there.

attached is a comprehensive report of my system specs for those of you who might find it useful

I am looking forward to your responses. :)

Guest H3r3tic
Hey folks :)

I got my laptop 1.5 years ago, I have upgraded my ram to crucial 4GB, HDD to seagate 250GB at 7400rpm, the last thing I need to get this thing as upgraded as possible is a graphic card (Current 8600m GT ddr2 256M). According to the research I've done regarding compatibility of my chipset which is an Express Intel 965PM, it seems like it does support graphics cards with MXM type II interface. so the thing I really need help with is to figure out whether or not my laptop's graphics is upgradable. If so, what is the most powerful graphic card on the market at the moment.

I'd highly appreciate if anyone would share their experience with the same system specs (chipset in particular) preferably Acer as far as bios configuration seems to be decisive in this case. I would love to hear any suggestion from you people out there.

attached is a comprehensive report of my system specs for those of you who might find it useful

I am looking forward to your responses. :)

Hi

I have a similar Acer notebook (Aspire 5720Zg) and I have upgraded it from GF 8400GS 256MB to GF 8600mGT ddr3 512MB from Asus, yes it is MXM-II and in case of my laptop it was pretty easy to exchange the cards. But actually I see no point in changing yours graphics at the moment, cause the best card you can get on MXM-II is GF 9600GT, which in fact is an factory overclocked 8600GT made in better technological process (45nm). So if I were you I'd wait with an upgrade till new series of moibile GF cards appear. Or change the cpu, cause it might be a bottleneck if you don't have a high C2D T7xxx or T8xxx/T9xxx processor.