LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptop overheating

Guest ToxicGen

Guest ToxicGen

Hello all. I've been playing games for like 2 months now on this new laptop.

Specs:

----------------------

Acer Aspire 7520G

----------------------

AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-62 2.1GHz

NVidia GeForce 8400m G (Yes I know it's bad but it still performs pretty well if you tweak the game you want to play)

3GB DDR2 Ram

Now quite recently my laptop started overheating during gaming (After 10minutes of gameplay). Fan makes VERRY loud noise and frames per second drop from 60 to 15. As you can imagine, if that encounters during a firefight you get owned.

After this kept happening I checked the temps and they were pretty high.

I think the main problem is the "ACPI" (God knows what that is?..). It reaches up to 93°C. Along with that my CPU climbs up to 80-90°C. And my GPU is always 70'ish.

So I did what everyone would do, I opened up this laptop and cleaned the fan, but there was almost no dust in it. I put the cover back on but nothing changed..

Can anyone help me with this?

I got the same problem!

everytime i play a game, in 15 min, my laptop starts to make a high sound, peeep ;p.

and my fps decreases to 15-20. when i bought it in 2008 oktober it didnt make a sound when i played for like 1 day straight assassin's creed on Medium settings

and now it makes a sound with counter strike source on lowest settings.

i opened my laptop and tried cleaning it up, even though there wasnt any dust in it.

i got an Acer aspire 7520G<<< same laptop as above except different hardware.

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

3070MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

windows vista

hope someone can help0.0

Guest ToxicGen
I got the same problem!

everytime i play a game, in 15 min, my laptop starts to make a high sound, peeep ;p.

and my fps decreases to 15-20. when i bought it in 2008 oktober it didnt make a sound when i played for like 1 day straight assassin's creed on Medium settings

and now it makes a sound with counter strike source on lowest settings.

i opened my laptop and tried cleaning it up, even though there wasnt any dust in it.

i got an Acer aspire 7520G<<< same laptop as above except different hardware.

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

3070MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

windows vista

hope someone can help0.0

Well, I have found a bit of a solution myself untill I find the real problem (I'm OP btw)

Download a program called nTune, install it and it will add some tabs to your Nvidia controll panel, go to ajust motherboard settings and underclock your FSB from 200mhz to 150mhz. That stops the overheating bigtime and allows you to play games for about 2hrs straigt, then it overheats every 10minutes. By underclocking your fsb, your CPU gets "underclocked" too and in your case it will be running at about 1.7GHz, but that is still enough to handle games and only causes about 10fps drop. hope that helps

Well, I have found a bit of a solution myself untill I find the real problem (I'm OP btw)

Download a program called nTune, install it and it will add some tabs to your Nvidia controll panel, go to ajust motherboard settings and underclock your FSB from 200mhz to 150mhz. That stops the overheating bigtime and allows you to play games for about 2hrs straigt, then it overheats every 10minutes. By underclocking your fsb, your CPU gets "underclocked" too and in your case it will be running at about 1.7GHz, but that is still enough to handle games and only causes about 10fps drop. hope that helps

omg, its working 0.0

TYVM, i can play normally again ^^

btw, do you think it would help if i buy a cooler fan for under my laptop?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

OK fine, with underclocking, you're able to use it again, but is this a long-time solution ?

Did you hear about Nvidia's defective chips ?

Cleaning and cooling and powermizing and underclocking will help and extend the lifetime of your GPU for a few days or months. If you're gaming you should use a notebook cooler.

But there's no long term solution.

If you want to know why your GPUs are dying, just read this:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/7...dia-g84-g86-bad

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3...chips-defective (read also part 2 and part 3).

People said TheInquirer is only publishing rumors but... how old is your GPU ? Is it OK for you to have a laptop that will not reach 2 years ?

Replacing a laptop motherboard is very expensive (if you don't have a MXM chip)... you may want to buy a an extended warranty, but customers have also rights. Just check also your local laws.

Apple extended their support for the same problems:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/education/news/i...pe=samechandate

HP notebooks have also this problem:

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2009/01/29/a-pe...screwing-users/

Same is for Asus, Acer, Packard Bell...

So if your notebook is idle or only running office programs or web browsers, your GPU should not exceed 65°C. If you're gaming your GPU should not exceed 85-90°C. If you're above, expect your GPU is near the end.

Nvidia told this to their shareholders:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1215037160521.html

And later they told this to their partners:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-s-solut...1.html?doc=6351

Good luck.

• 1 month later...