LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GS GDDR3

Diman

Ok, this is a card i have, and it says 256MB/total 1GB in vista, but when i downgrade my loppy to XP, it was shown 512MB dedicated video, this is what on nvidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600M.html /// so wtf??? Please explain anyone, i don't undastand this..

It says 256mb dedicated in Vista and 512mb dedicated in XP?

The instance where you see 1gb occurs with shared VRAM called turbocache by nvidia. It uses system RAM as VRAM to potentially increase the speed of the GPU.

I guess where it reports 256mb is probably a problem that shouldn't affect the performance of the gpu as the error should only be with the reporting of the onboard VRAM.

It says 256mb dedicated in Vista and 512mb dedicated in XP?

Yes that's correct, also when i was buying laptop from SONY it also officially says 256MB, i've seen one forum where one guy pu x64 on the same laptop and 4gb ram, then it says total available memory iis 2GB, but how to use this video card in games as 512MB?? Any idea? Or it's 256MB, really confused please help...

post-35155-1231952865_thumb.jpg