LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need help. Best drivers 9600M GT(1) > Overclocking software(2) > TEMPS(3) > Tips(4) :)

Smart1991

Hi everyone,

As you can see I'm new here and this is my first post.

I've spent the past 5 years on an old desktop with a P4 2.8GHz CPU and an ATI Radeon 9200SE GPU with 1GB of RAM :) . So I spent many years without even trying to install a game. lol

Anyway, but now I have an HP Pavilion dv5-1060ee in hand (finally !! thank God !!). I've only installed GTA IV so far, it's playable on the medium settings although sometimes (especially at night or when it's raining in the game) it becomes a bit slow.

I've been surfing the in this forum for the last month, and now I need your help with a few things:

1- What is the best driver for my video card? 179.32 ? 181.22 ? 185.20 ? What are your experiences?

2- Can I REALLY overclock the GPU? On my old desktop, I overclocked my P4 CPU from 2.8 to 3.6 with no problems. But now I'm really scared because this is a laptop (so not very good cooling) and i dont wanna damage it.

What is the best program for overclocking? Riva Tuner? or from the NVIDIA control panel ?

3- What about the optimum temps? When I'm playing GTA IV, the GPU temp reaches 73-76. Isn't that bad? What if I overclocked it, can it go worse?

4- Can you please give me some tips and advices :) ?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I really don't want to do something that would damage the device. And in the same time I want to extract the maximum gaming performance from it :P . So I'm waiting for your help.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi everyone,

As you can see I'm new here and this is my first post.

I've spent the past 5 years on an old desktop with a P4 2.8GHz CPU and an ATI Radeon 9200SE GPU with 1GB of RAM :) . So I spent many years without even trying to install a game. lol

Anyway, but now I have an HP Pavilion dv5-1060ee in hand (finally !! thank God !!). I've only installed GTA IV so far, it's playable on the medium settings although sometimes (especially at night or when it's raining in the game) it becomes a bit slow.

I've been surfing the in this forum for the last month, and now I need your help with a few things:

1- What is the best driver for my video card? 179.32 ? 181.22 ? 185.20 ? What are your experiences?

2- Can I REALLY overclock the GPU? On my old desktop, I overclocked my P4 CPU from 2.8 to 3.6 with no problems. But now I'm really scared because this is a laptop (so not very good cooling) and i dont wanna damage it.

What is the best program for overclocking? Riva Tuner? or from the NVIDIA control panel ?

3- What about the optimum temps? When I'm playing GTA IV, the GPU temp reaches 73-76. Isn't that bad? What if I overclocked it, can it go worse?

4- Can you please give me some tips and advices :) ?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I really don't want to do something that would damage the device. And in the same time I want to extract the maximum gaming performance from it :P . So I'm waiting for your help.

Thanks in advance!!

1. Try Dox 181.20, i think they will help you much with GTA IV

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22670

2. I use riva tuner for GPU OC. You will only know when you try it, maybe its locked in your vBIOS.

3. 73-76 are quite good temps for GTA IV. Mine are about 88-92, sometimes 95, GPU is overclocked like hell, of course.

4. With regards to the tips for GTA IV particularly, google for commandline.txt tweaks, they will help you

Thanks for your 2 replies :) .

I'm now using 179.32, is the Dox 181.20 REALLY better? How many extra FPS I might get?

From your experience, is it good with all games? With all video processing software?

Where Can I find some tips for overclocking my card. I do have some background in overclocking from my old PC, but as I've said before: I just don't want to damage something here.

Oh, and what is PowerMizer?

Thanks again !

Edited by Smart1991

4- Can you please give me some tips and advices ?

1. Best is 185.20.

2.Yes you can overclock GPU. You should roll back to F.05 A BIOS if you already updated. Depending on your notebook you will be able to gain 25-30% of speed.

Best program for overclocking in our case is RivaTuner.

3. When i play,i get 80-90C. No additional cooling.

4.I advice you to forget about overclocking CPU.If you are going to overclock without additional cooling,at least put something under it(pack of cigarettes or whatever) to give cooling system more area to breathe. Carefully read this TOPIC,there are some important posts about overclocking and a bit of everything :)

Edited by leshcat

• 2 months later...

For HP users ,upgrade your bios to latest (f14) cause it doesn't matter .

install one of the forceware drivers . dox's 182.05 recommended ,i am using dox's 182.46 ,there ,s not much difference .

open Riva Tuner ,click on "Power User" tab ,select "i'm a Power User" cause you are :)

First disable "protect database entries" by pressing the button pictured as a registry cube and a lock on it .

Then expand "Rivatuner\nvidia\overclocking" by pressing "+" near it .

Activate "Enable Low Power 3D control ,Enable Perf Level Forcing ,Use Alternate Startup Daemon" by right clicking them and selecting the lighting bulb.

Then expand "Rivatuner\overclocking\global" by pressing "+" sign as you make before .

Double click the empty column near "max clock limit" and enter "100"

Double click the empty column near "min clock limit" and enter "10"

Then go to the "main" tab

click the arrow in the "ForceWare detected Customize...." box and select "System settings"

Now you are at the "System Tweaks" window .

Click "Enable driver-level hardware overclocking" and select "detect now" ,then select "performance 3D" .

also "Force constant performance level" must be selected as "performance 3D"

when you finish setting click apply and restart computer .

when restart completes open "System Tweak" window as you do before ,and you now able to change clock speeds .

if you want to set shader to higher clocks unselect "link clocks" box .

"Save overclocking profile" can only be selected after you apply clocks .

i recommend you to set lower clocks and select "apply overclocking at windows startup" ,so when surfing and making daily works you won't waste unnecessary gpu power .

also under the "launcher" tab on main window ,you can create submenus for your profiles and if you select "send to tray on close" and "run at windows startup" option under the "settings tab" on the main window ,you can switch easily between your profiles by right clicking the tray icon .

That is all i know about overclocking 9600m gt GDDR2 on Hp Pavilion notebook .