LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Drivers for vista for dell inspiron 8200 (geforce go4 440 64mb)

pizzaboy192

I have a older dell inspiron 8200 laptop, and I have been having trouble getting drivers newer than the 2x.xx series to install (since that is the newest that dell offers for my laptop) the problem happens to be that i cannot get my laptop to do much without newer drivers, and when i tried custom .inf drivers, i have had anything from it just plain not-installing to causing problems with the display, and the card overheating and not syncing.

I was wondering what the suggested driver would be to use on this old card, and the best way to install it in vista (its actually windows 7 build 7xxx) but same diff...

--pizza

Edited by pizzaboy192

You will not be able to install any Vista drivers (WDDM) for that card because of the cards older directx version (only rated for directx 8.0 with LDDM drivers). The alternate is to install an XP driver which will work on Vista but will not enable aero effects. Try v72.14 XP driver with the modified inf from this site. This driver works fairly well on my spare laptop with a similar card, but as I stated.... no aero.

Worked just fine! thanks for the tip...

I didn't really think that Aero would work seeing as it barely can work on the FX5200 in my little brothers system... Glad to have a GUI for the Nvidia stuff again... it was killing me not to have one.