LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need some help with processor upgrade...

coolcop06

Hi guys, I have a XPS M1530 and I was thinking of upgrading my processor. I had the T9800 ES (2.93) in mind, there on ebay for $350-400. I was gonna snap one up in the next couple of months, but just wanted to make sure everything would be fully compatible. I tried looking on google but i couldnt find anything... I have the PM 965 motherbored, im pretty sure itll work but i had a couple of concerns. Mainly. the fact that its a 65nm processor, compared to the 45nm I currently have, and the fact that the FSB is 1066mhz compared to the 800mhz I currently have . Do you guys have any imput for me, whether this will work?

<Further specs on my laptop on the left...

Thanks alot guys.

P.s. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, wasnt quite sure where to place it..

Edited by coolcop06

I think you need to stick with a 800 MHz bus. I'm not 100% sure on that, but when I upgraded my 1520 that had the same CPU that you have, I saw some comments the faster bus speed not working. I went with the T9300, which is 2.5 GHz, and has worked out well. Are you sure yours is 25W? I am pretty sure the T7500 is 35W. You can probably run a 35W if you have a 25W though, but it may decrease your battery life. I did that with the upgrade on my 7805u. It had a P8400, and I upgraded to a T9600.

Edited by Korn1699

Ohh, I thought the FSB would just downclock like ram would. Anyone else know if the faster bus speed will be a problem?? Basically if it is a problem for sure, then the best processor I could get is the T9300 right?

As far as the wattage, you are correct the T7500 is a 35w so that problem is eliminated. Thanks haha.

Edited by coolcop06

That is the best through newegg. There may be faster on ebay or something. I see faster 800MHz FSB CPUs on wikipedia. I think I saw about the FSB not decreasing on the comments for the T9600 because originally I was looking to get that for the 1520.

Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS... You probably do, but if you don't, it may not support a better CPU, which may cause it to not boot after you upgrade..

The best CPU you can use in your laptop is Core2Xtreme X9000 and from the much cheaper and easier to obtain Core2Duo series T9500. You can't use any 1066FSB processor cause it's designed for boards with new chipset and different socket, so it simply won't fit into yours XPS-M1530 mobo.

Btw. my opinion is that unless you do lots of video encoding or high resolution photo manipulation or some advanced CAD designing/modelling then spending few hundred bucks on a better cpu is waste of money - performance increse will be hardly noticeable or even not noticeable at all. And if the games are what is most important for you then GF8600GT is the bottleneck not T7500... :)

So everyone is in agreeance that the 1066mhz CPU's WILL NOT FOR SURE work on my laptop? I want to be sure because this is going to change my decision on which CPU to get...

@Korn1699: Yes I do have the latest BIOS, in fact I think in A11 it listed support for new processors as one of the fixes/enhancements. Also I LOVE Newegg, but theres just better prices on this stuff from ebay...

@H3r3tic: Core2 Extreme appears to be WAY more expensive than even the T9800's. Just a quick google search turned up prices in the $600+ so thats out of the picture. I wont pay more than $450 on an upgrade for this laptop. Anyways im kinda a hotrodder so whatever the best i can fit in my laptop is (within prices I can afford), ill try to get it in. haha. And i do not have money to buy a new laptop at this point, so upgrades is all I can do at this point.

Edited by coolcop06

The best CPU you can use in your laptop is Core2Xtreme X9000 and from the much cheaper and easier to obtain Core2Duo series T9500. You can't use any 1066FSB processor cause it's designed for boards with new chipset and different socket, so it simply won't fit into yours XPS-M1530 mobo.

Btw. my opinion is that unless you do lots of video encoding or high resolution photo manipulation or some advanced CAD designing/modelling then spending few hundred bucks on a better cpu is waste of money - performance increse will be hardly noticeable or even not noticeable at all. And if the games are what is most important for you then GF8600GT is the bottleneck not T7500... :)

Agreed, the 1066MHz bus speed processors will not work, even though they are in fact the same socket (socket P). The best processor that will work in your system is the x9000, but as stated, you'll get much better price/performance with the T9500.

Also as stated, the gfx card in your system is the bottleneck if you are playing games (except some RTS's, in which a processor upgrade would help)

Okay you guys have been AWESOME, thanks everyone for your help. If anyone has any other comments to put in, feel free as ill keep looking in here.

@Phnx: Okay so the T9500 the best I could do for my laptop besides the Extreme? Okay heres a T9500 ES for $250.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-2-Duo-Mobil...%3A1|240%3A1318

So this will work?? Thanks again guys.

That one should work.

If you were looking into getting an inexpensive new laptop for gaming, you might want to check out the 7805u. They just have them at Best Buy, and some have 1920x1200 instead of the listed 1440x900. Mine was only $1149.99, and I was able to get 18 months no interest. It has a 9800 GTS with 1 GB of memory. I did upgrade the CPU ($550) and added a hard drive for RAID(had the drive but $80 new), but it has played any game I have tried pretty well at 1920x1200. :)

No, not gonna look at laptops for another year or so. My parents just finished paying this one off as a bday present last year, and I think it would be kind of a dis to buy a new one. Besides, this one isnt bad, im proud of it. Ill just stick with it for awhile more. Thanks though.