LaptopVideo2Go Forums

UXGA LCD only displays 1400x1050

alexh

Today I replaced a broken screen on my mom's Dell Latitude C810 + Geforce2Go. I got the replacement screen from a broken C840 here at work.

The screen works well but the image only takes up a fraction of the screen top left. Even in the BIOS! And there are strange multi-coloured vertical stripes on one side.

I think the old screen must have been a SXGA+ (1400x1050) and the new one is UXGA (1600x1200).

I updated the system BIOS to A12 which is the latest but that did not help.

In WindowsXP Pro SP3 the maximum resolution available is also 1400x1050.

Anyone got any ideas?

dsc00046ezr.th.jpg

Try changing the refresh rate.

If that doesn't do it, then its possible that the video device in your mom's Latitude's doesn't go above 1400x1050.

OR maybe the monitor driver your mom's laptop has installed is for the old screen. Maybe you can try updating it to the driver for a C840 screen.

Edited by Hidavi

You cannot change the refresh rate it only has one value (60). The drivers I am using are the only ones on the DELL website. 44.82. [Edit: I upgraded to v84.69 and no change]

The Geforce2Go can do much higher resolutions via the VGA port with another monitor so I do not think it is unable to go above 1400x1050.

Plus that does not explain the image is offset at lower resolutions and in the BIOS before windows is loaded?

dsc00047e.th.jpg

I am pretty sure it has something to do with how the gfx card and the LCD panel interact. How the LCD panel tells the card what resolutions it does.

The BIOS for my Geforce2Go is v3.11.01.44 B4

LV2G_EDID.exe reports back SEC3255

Horizontal Active time 1600 pixels

Vertical Active time 1200 lines

But LV2G_DIRT.exe reports back FP Native Res : 1400 x 1050 pixels!

I could transfer the video card from the dead C840 but that is like major heart surgery and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Anyone any ideas?

Edited by alexh

There are no other solutions. Sounds like another transplant is in order.

Are you certain?

(Sorry to have to ask, but with only 12-posts you're not exactly a pro-user of this forum)

I was hoping that a video BIOS upgrade might fix it?

Edited by alexh

Dude, this place is not my job, its just a forum LOL. I'm new here but I have 7 years of experience dealing with issues like this daily.

Does the monitor work properly on lower resolutions?

If by monitor you mean the built in LCD panel then no.

Even in lower resolutions (such as the BIOS!) the display is shown only in the top left hand corner of the panel and there are still vertical stripes along the right hand edge.

The video card is communicating with the LCD as though it was a 1400x1050 panel.

I guess I'll have to try to transplant the Geforce4Go gfx card from the dead laptop I got the replacement UXGA LCD panel from.

Trying to source another SXGA+ LCD panel from somewhere is the last resort.

Edited by alexh

Things just got weirder! The original LCD panel was UXGA!

The only difference between this one and the replacement is it is a SHARP LQ150U1LH22 and the replacement is a Samsung SEC3255!

That means that it has to be an incompatibility between the replacement LCD panel and the gfx card's BIOS :)

I got another donor LCD panel, this time a C810 IBM branded UXGA lcd panel. It worked first time in 1600x1200 with the Geforce2Go which upto now had refused to work with the Samsung UXGA LCD panel.

Very strange but at least it is now working.

Edited by alexh