LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 8930g can only downlclock my 9700m

Guest Bob3000

Guest Bob3000

In both XP and Vista my rivatuner's sliders will max out at 600 core 1200 shader and 450 mem. Thats lower than 9500gs, anybody have any ideas? Im using the latest rivatuner and tried several of the latest DOX drivers.

Don't have much experience with riva so i can't tell you what the problem with that is for sure. Have you tried any other overclocking software? And what are your stock clocks? Thanks.

Guest Guest

Unfortunately for whatever reason ntune crashes my laptop on both vista and xp, but the card is running at at its normal stock speeds of 575core 1200 shader 800 memory.

well i dont know if this is a bug but as you can see i have the same laptop and the same problem you have , but i managed to overcome it. just do this :go to : rivatuner-power user-rivatuner/overclocking/global-max clock limit (you need to set this on 500 and check it. a lil lightbulb should appear to the left) press ok . Now you should be able to overclock without problems. when you will set the new clocks dont press ok button , just the cross button . thats because when you press the ok button the clocks reset . after you press cross (upper right corner) check your clocks to see if they applied . report back here if it worked .

Thx , Pistino01

Edited by Pistino01

Guest bob3000

Thanks Pistino, much appreciated! I was nearly thinking about sending the laptop back as it was barely faster than my old overclocked 9500m gs ddr2.

Since you have the same laptop as I I have another question for you, does windows XP work for you? As I could get it installed but whenever the system is restarted or shut down from XP the laptop will not start properly again unless I pull out the mains cable and perform a cold shutdown (holding the power button for 5 secs). I suspect its the motherboard drivers, or maybe power management as Vista does exhibit this problem.

Guest bob3000

seems I spoke too soon, as although the rivatuner now allows me to slide the sliders to where i want, it still doesnt overclock whilst in game. I tried to not press ok and just close the panel like you said but unfortunately it does the same thing. I think i might look into flashing the bios. What are clocks do people normally go for when overclocking 9700m/9600m ddr3? \i was thinking of 700 core 1600 shader and 900mhz memory.

well i have yet to find stable clocks but so far best were 675 1600 1000 . as to your question , no sorry i have not tryed to install XP , so i dont know .

That is unfortunate ... try to select (chechk ) : apply overclocking at windoes startup. otherwise you can also try to do it with the help of this tutorial : http://www.vaguetech.com/index.php?pageid=rt207 . i myself was trying to overclock this lappy since october :) :)... it finally paid off just a few weeks ago .

And since you have the same lappy , im going to ask you about the "console" button in games like Crysis , TES4:Oblivion , Fallout 3 ... because when i press the button to use the console it doesnt work . i have no idea how to get around this problem , if you have any idea pls tell me ...

Thx , Pistino01

Guest bob3000

I have got the overclocking working, yay :) . I had to and force constant perfomance level to power 3d, which means I have to manually downclock the laptop after i finish playing. re: your console key, it sounds like you may need to set your correct keyboard layout settings (control panel> regional and language settings > keyboards and languages >change keyboards.

well good for us , we solved our problems ... btw i do the overclocking the same way you do , forgot to mention that ... sry ...

Thx , Pistino01

Guest bob3000

awesome! i've messed around with overclocking a bit and find that 680 core 1700 shader 980 mem is the highest stable overclock i can do with temps hovering around 75-78c, i love how cool this laptop runs. I can play for hours with the laptop placed on my bed and it does not overheat.

• 4 months later...
Guest Corola10

Hey guys :)

I C you guys have the same problem i had a lille while ago

it really was a pain in the arse for me the bottle neck part :)(

yea after i installed nforce or/and riva tuner my laptop went beserk

crashed from time to time got that fixed now

and removed the bottleneck with flashing my GPU bios

now my question:

did you overclock with riva or with flashing 2 ?

how big is the risk of overclocking and howmuch +performance do you get?