LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Difficulties with new HD3650 MXM card

Guest Sander

Guest Sander

Hey everyone,

Since I am not having any luck trying to solve this on my own, I am now resorting to the MXM upgrade community.

I recently bought a HD Mobility 3650 card for my Acer 5720G laptop. Installation went pretty smooth and the card, which had a HP bios and came out of a HP laptop, worked straight away.

I then installed an Acer VBIOS using AtiWinflash. Seems to have gone well, everything is still working.

The first thing I noticed when using this card is that is is running suspiciously cool. HWMonitor shows it never going over 65 degrees celcius, even in games. Also, clock values seem strange. This is what GPU-Z had to say:

GPU Clock in main information window: 600MHz (I guess this means the standard speed defined in the vbios?)

GPU Memory Clock in main information window: 700MHz

GPU Clock in Sensor window: 297MHz

GPU Memory Clock in Sensor window: 346MHz (i presume this is logical since it's ddr3 memory, therefore double speed = 700MHz).

Subvendor ID: Acer (confirms that the new VBIOS is installed)

All other values are as expected for this card.

AMD GPU Clock Tool agrees:

Engine Clock: 297MHz

Memory Clock:693MHz (pretty much 700)

it seems the card won't go over 297MHz core speed. This explains the low temperatures I'm getting (or should they be lots lower for this GPU speed..?).

AMD GPU clock tool refuses to clock the card higher than the current 297MHz. No error messages, but after setting it to 600 for example, the screen blacks out, turns back on and the clock speed is still 297MHz.

I also tried RivaTuner. However, in the Main tab, the bar under the video card name says "no further information available", and under Driver Settings on the Main tab it says "Catalyst detected" without the ususal "customize" button for OC-ing. So no luck there.

I would really like to use this card to its full potential, and right now it's severely handicapped by this low core speed. Do you guys know any ways that I could crank that clock up like it's supposed to be?

Could it be possible that the card is somehow protecting itself from overheating by staying at this low speed (297MHz @ 65 deg. Celsius)? And lastly, how do I get Rivatuner to allow me into its OC-ing settings?

Thanks in advance,

Sander Vocke

Guest Sander Vocke

OK, an update on my proceedings: It seems this issue had at least something to do with Powerplay. When I disable powerplay in CCC, AMD GPU Clock Tool reports a core speed of 500MHz. Note that enabling Powerplay always reduces my speed to 297MHz, even when in "Max Performance" mode.

Still, the 500MHz is strange. Using Radeon BIOS Editor, none of the clock info modes has a setting of 500MHz. However, this might be because these modes are only used when using PowerPlay (right?).

RBE also reports a "Hardware Specs String": Acer_MXM_M86ME_DDR3 M86 GDDR3_16Mx32 128bit 256MB 500e/700m

this implies that the bios somehow has a setting in it that makes it run at 500MHz. However, there is nowhere an option to be found in RBE that can change this default speed.

Still stuck. Besides, I would like to be able to use PowerPlay and not have to turn it off everytime I want to exceed 297MHz...

Guest Sander Vocke

Wait... something else is going on here. Although AMD GPU Clock Tool now says 500MHz, GPU-Z is still reporting 245MHz in the sensor window...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest ShoeVan

Did you ever get this problem solved?, cause i'm having the exact same problem in an aspire 5520g laptop

It never goes above 297mhz

Hi, Ive got an Acer Aspire 5720ZG. It has a 8400m gs and im upgrading to an ATI 3650. According to everything on the internet, the 8400m gs is a MXM 1 card, while the ATI 3650 is an MXM 11 card, which leaves me very confused. You cannot put an MXM 11 card in an MXM 1 slot, so I'm a bit worried. But also all the forums ive seen tell me it fits in the 5720 series, so im MAJORLY confused.

Thanks for any help provided

Hi, Ive got an Acer Aspire 5720ZG. It has a 8400m gs and im upgrading to an ATI 3650. According to everything on the internet, the 8400m gs is a MXM 1 card, while the ATI 3650 is an MXM 11 card, which leaves me very confused. You cannot put an MXM 11 card in an MXM 1 slot, so I'm a bit worried. But also all the forums ive seen tell me it fits in the 5720 series, so im MAJORLY confused.

Thanks for any help provided

The 5720 has an MXM II Slot with an MXM I card in it. You're go to put in the 3650 , since MXM is downward compatible, e.g MXM I fits in MXM II Slot, but not vice versa ....

Edited by quipster